𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈, 𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆

A MIXED BOUQUET OF WHITE LILIES AND ROSES IN A FANCY GLASS VASE LAID IN AFTON'S HANDS WHEN I OPENED UP MY DOOR THE NEXT MORNING.

Already running late for work, I took the note attached with me, accepting that I'd have to read it while bringing more paperwork to various rooms throughout the clocktower. The flowers can stay on my dresser during the day.

My heels clicked on the floor as I made my way through the winding corridors. During the past few days I'd made it my goal to map out the area, find the quickest way to each place. I was largely successful, rarely getting turned around.

Whatever was being taken care of with these files, it was of the upmost importance that I bring it before noon. Or that's what Marcus said. He doesn't give me many details about exactly what I'm bringing around this massive structure.

I haven't gotten much better at fitting into this scene. The others wore uniforms that I didn't, although we shared the same necklace. Mine had jewels, which made me stand out further.

Maybe that's why a woman with shining blonde hair took notice to me.

"Are you new around here?" The woman asked as I plopped the stack down on the correct desk in the expansive library.

"First week," I answered as cheerily as I could. I think I may have gotten a few blisters on the way over here. "Just a secretary."

"A secretary..." She paused for a few seconds and frowned. Lord, had I made her upset already? Must be the outfit. I look too American, don't I? The blonde woman sighed.

"I'm Athenodora. Caius' wife," she introduced. "What's your name?"

To be honest, I was surprised that someone like Caius was married. Not only is he young, he's incorrigible. Demanding. Dare I say annoying?

This is your boss, you can't think about him like that, I reminded myself. Maybe if you're nice to his wife, he'll be better. Decent.

"River." She gave a small smile. I couldn't tell if it was genuine. "I'll probably be out of your hair in a few months, I'm technically a medical intern overseas."

"America. The accent." Athenodora smirked. "What sort of work do you do? I'm afraid to say I've never held a job of my own. I doubt Caius would approve of it."

I gave a soft laugh before grabbing my next stack of papers. I knew what those ones were. New orders for books, and a few things detailing the arrangements of said books. Nothing out of the ordinary for an establishment such as this, I suppose.

"Well, I'm currently a medical intern working under an experienced doctor," I explained. "To be honest, I don't know why my bosses wanted me here so badly. I'm not very good at this stuff. I got the rest of the employees in trouble yesterday because Aro and Marcus let me copy down my schedule - that didn't go very well. Caius was pissed at the rest of them. If he was acting weird, I'm sorry."