Chapter 20

We raised our cans of alcohol in the air, celebrating the end of the exam at a lively restaurant. Exhausted from the long exam, we reveled in the moment, the clinking of cans filling the room with a triumphant sound. Leaning against Sunoo, I took a sip, feeling the cool liquid ease the tension within me.

But amidst our joy, a nagging thought clouded my mind. "It's not really over; we still have the results to worry about," I murmured, unable to hold back my concern. Sunghoon, always practical, scolded me with exasperation. "If you're going to ruin the mood, then just go home."

With a sigh, I reached for my can again, hoping the alcohol would soothe my lingering unease. Just then, Max seized the opportunity to change the subject. She brought up the upcoming festival with energy and excitement.

As Max described the festival, anticipation sparked within me. It would involve a thrilling scavenger hunt, followed by a night of camping beneath the stars. The next day, our school grounds would transform into a grand stage, showcasing the talents of the students in performance and music. What excited me even more was the revelation that Sunghoon and Niki had secretly prepared their own performances as a surprise. Unintentionally, they let slip the secret in their enthusiastic conversation.

"Jay, what are you going to wear?" Max asked, her enthusiasm evident as she posed the question to the entire table.

With a smug grin, Jay replied, "Clothes."

Max shot him an annoyed look before pouring the golden liquid into her glass and taking a long sip. I playfully nudged Jay's arm in response to his teasing of Max, and he smiled at me before placing his hand on my shoulder.

Suddenly, Jake's voice called out, "Oh Heeseung, over here!"

I followed Jake's gaze, meeting Heeseung's gaze with an expressionless face. However, I could sense his annoyance, his discomfort at seeing Jay so close to me. I then glanced at Jay, and his face mirrored Heeseung's, but for different reasons.

Anxiety knotted in my stomach as I gulped, desperately hoping that this situation wouldn't turn into a huge fight. Heeseung greeted everyone with a half-hearted nod before settling down with his legs crossed tightly beside Sunoo, who sat next to me, creating a visible distance between me and Heeseung.

The conversation continued among the group, but it felt as though Heeseung, Jay, and I were engaged in a separate conversation solely through our eyes and facial expressions. I met Heeseung's cold glare, doing my best to avoid it by offering my opinion whenever possible, interjecting during others' discussions to appear fully engaged.

"Max, Jake, and Sunoo will share one tent. What about you, Y/N?" Sunghoon turned his attention to me.

The thought of sharing a tent hadn't even crossed my mind, leaving me unsure of how to respond. Secretly, I had hoped to share the tent with Heeseung, but expressing that was out of the question. Instead, I simply shrugged, unsure of what to say.

Jay pulled me closer to his chest with the hand that was already around my shoulder. He spoke up, "Of course she'll share a tent with me."

My eyes widened instinctively, darting toward Heeseung, whose narrowed gaze seemed to intensify on me rather than Jay.

"Okay, what about you, Heeseung?" Sunghoon inquired.

The moment his name was called, Heeseung shifted his gaze away from me. He poked his cheek with his tongue before replying, "I'll stay on my own."

With those words, he stood up and left, taking a bottle of beer with him. Every fiber of my being wanted to chase after him, but I knew it would only raise suspicions among Jay and the others.