Chapter 7

It had been three days since Jay told me that I should stay away from him. I didn't think that he actually meant it. At first, I assumed that he needed time to cool off before coming around like he always did. But he had really been ignoring me, and it frustrated me.

But I decided that it would end soon. He was an important part of my life, and I couldn't live with him not talking with me. So, I decided to confront him after class.

"Jay, please, it wasn't my fault," I pleaded with him, hoping for some kind of understanding.

His stern voice caught me off guard. He was trying to control himself, barely holding back from screaming in front of the crowd. "Y/N, I asked you to stay away from me for a while!" he spat out.

"What did I do that was so wrong?"

He raised his eyebrows before yelling, "You promised me that you'd stay away from him."

"I fucking believed you only to see you having a romantic dinner with him."

I fought back the urge to shout, not wanting to make a spectacle of ourselves. Instead, I kept my voice steady as I replied, "What else was I supposed to do?"

He rolled his eyes and let out a groan. "You could've called me! The door was unlocked, and you could've walked or even run out. But I guess you decided to entertain him instead."

My throat tightened, and I struggled to keep my emotions in check. Tears sting my eyes, but I refuse to let them spill. I didn't want him to pity me or think that I was using my tears to gain his forgiveness. So, I simply looked at him, trying to convey my sincerity without words.

He looked away from me, not wanting to say anything further.

Frustration boiled inside of me, and I let out an exasperated groan as I turned my back on him. It was only when my back was completely turned away from him that I let my tears fall. The weight of my own mistake hung heavily in the air, and I couldn't bear the thought of trying to defend myself again. He was right. The memory of the moment I could've walked away while he was cooking, but instead stayed, replayed over and over in my head, amplifying the guilt I felt.

As I walked down the crowded campus, the tears that streamed down my face blurred my vision. My heart felt heavy with the weight of the devastating realization that I might've lost my best friend.

I was lost in my thoughts and didn't see the figure walking towards me until it was too late.

We collided with a jolt, and I stumbled, almost falling to the ground. I looked up to apologize, but the words caught in my throat as I met his concerned yet harsh gaze.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked softly, his voice laced with worry.

I shook my head, unable to form words as fresh tears spilled down my cheeks. Without doing anything more, I got out of his embrace and ran to my room. I didn't notice as he ran behind me.

With a sense of urgency, I pushed open the door and dashed inside, eager to lock it behind me. But I was too slow. Before I could secure the lock, he wedged his run star high tops between the door and pushed his way in. I tried to push back with all my might, but his strength was too much for me. In a matter of seconds, he had barged in and pinned my body against the door, effectively closing it with my back.

We locked eyes; the tension between us was palpable. A moment of silence hung heavily in the air before he finally spoke. "What's wrong?" he asked, his voice gentle and filled with concern.

Tears began to stream uncontrollably down my face. I pushed against him, trying to break free, but he remained steadfast as usual. I even began to pound my fists against his chest, begging him to leave, but he refused to listen. Instead, he took both of my hands in his and pulled them together in front of my chest before pulling me into his embrace, rendering me unable to move.