Epilogue: Gunhild

Perhaps I'm wrong about my daughter, Arizona.

I sit at my office wearing these scars, wondering where to go from here. To think — a child unblessed by Barbelo was capable of all that devastation. Though she wasn't alone. No.

Rowynn Thoriana, it seems we have crossed paths once again. This time, you brought along Pádraig's deranged little freaks. Wilder than the monkey-man himself, it seems. However, unlike summoning the spirits of dead heroes, the rabbit girl opted to summon monsters while the goat boy — I guess — conjured relics of eld. Strange yet powerful little things.

Someone knocks the door to my office, and a woman speaks, "Excuse me, are you busy, dear? May I come in?"

"You may come in, Memphis," I say.

The woman enters the room. She appears tall and slender, wearing a pastel pink formal business coat and a matching blouse. Her brown hair is a short bowl style with her bangs obscuring her vision. I'm not sure why she styles her hair like that, but it seems she has no problems with it. At least she hasn't stumbled or tripped on to something. She carries a holographic tablet and swipes through it. "Election Day is coming in a few days and the media is favoring Vice President Holden to win. Will you be campaigning alongside him this week?"

I get up from my office chair and glance out the window of this office, staring at the leaves as they turn from green to gold. Eventually, they will wilt, marking the eve of winter. I say to the First Spouse, "No, I have pressing matters to deal with, but you are free to accompany him if you like."

"Understood." A short pause. She stands next to me and places her hand on my shoulder. "Is something wrong? I heard the meeting with the late CrystalCorp CEO didn't end well. Rebels invaded the top secret facility, and that the company named a new CEO to replace the late Mun Seul-Ki."

"Who told you that?" I ask, my brows furrowing, my eyes shifting to her.

"It was on the news. The outlets reported the demise of the CrystalCorp CEO within the destruction. However, they could not confirm who was responsible for the devastation of the facility. They found no security footage."

I scratch my chin, pondering the situation. Interesting how the media reported the way how things came to be. Yet, no one mentioned of Arizona's presence or the two betrayers who accompanied her. It seems the media has not accessed CrystalCorp's security footage.

Or those fae bastards hacked the security systems, disabling the cameras. A fortunate mishap, I suppose. Still, Rowynn, Arizona, and the rest of those Remnants will pay dearly.

I wave a hand at the First Spouse. "Go ahead and take your leave. I have matters to attend to."

"Very well," Memphis says as she departs my office. "If you need me, I'll be accompanying the Vice President on his campaign to become the next United States President."

The Election. It's only two days away. America's constitution dictates that I can only serve two full terms — and my final term will conclude soon. It doesn't matter. It turns out that being President of a country full of derange citizens within the confines of their given laws is a hopeless endeavor. The two dominant parties, the Democrats and the Republicans, seem to relish debating the nuances more than passing actual laws. And the Supreme Court — their antiquated ways disgust me, even after appointing my own judges.

No matter. Barbelo shall bring perfect balance to this world, devoid of wasteful politics and debate. Speaking of which, I prepare my leave and proceed with a small escort of secret service persons accompanying me.

"President Stirling," the service agent says, "Are you ready to depart?"

"Certainly," I say.

Fifteen minutes later, we arrive at The Pentagon. General Aurelius Jansen, the Secretary of Defense and head of The Pentagon, confronts me as I enter the facility. He is a tall man of age with a gray mustache, short hair, tan skin, and a heavy build. He's taller than me but only by a couple centimeters.

"Ms. President," the General greets. "It's great to see you, but I was not expecting your visit so soon."

"I have—" a short pause as I glance around, observing military personnel analyzing holographic maps and screens, "—plans." With a motive, I proceed to a secluded room where two scientists and a stone waygate stand.

The scientists notice my presence and make haste from the premises, fearful for what is coming.

General Jansen turns to me and says with his eyes open and mouth agape, "You're not thinking what I'm thinking, are you? We've discussed this a multitude of times, Ms. President."

I sense his desperation, but I say, "Yes, and no." My triggerblade materializes from my hand as I control the residual aether emanating from the waygate. "Your concerns are with the wars abroad. The unending conflicts in the Middle East. Tensions with North Korea and President Kim Yo-jong. The Russians and their digital legion of hackers." With swift movements, I point at The General with my weapon. "Truth be told, General, our war is not abroad. No. The war is already here, and our adversaries have been among us in this glorious great nation of the United States of America this whole time."

The General steps back and gasps. "President Stirling. You're not one of—?"

A shimmering pulse of light and darkness materializes, engulfing my crew of secret service persons and filling them with a strange, powerful energy, transforming them into my beastly minions.

"Not just a Nightmare, General Jansen. I am Gunhild Ylfing, leader of The Eyes of War."

General Jansen takes another step back, his teeth gritting with anger. "You were the one who summoned those monsters at Homey Airport thirteen years ago."

"So you remember me," I say, grinning with arrogance. "That woman known as Lyss Zauss Stirling, who ruled this country for the past eight years? She actually perished long ago when she served as the Vice President. Like the former and late President Jack Cayle, Vice President Stirling also died during the hijacking of Air Force One almost a decade ago. At least until I took over her body and convinced the nation she survived the ordeal. An imposter ran this country, and no one knew any better. Not even her spouse, Memphis Jae Stirling."

The General puts his hand in his coat, pulls out an energy pistol, and points it at me. "You monster! You performed the gravest form of stolen valor by wearing the flesh of a distinguished war hero."

For a high-ranking official, I would have expected him to carry a bigger gun. Oh, that's right. The Pentagon's state-of-the-art security measures prohibit most personnel from carrying such weapons. A pistol is the best they can bring.

"Ah, yes. A young commander, she was," I say, sounding bored. "Strong-willed and charismatic. Her brilliance is something worth cherishing. Still, an unfortunate end for such a distinguished individual. But since you care so much about her, I suppose you can join her in whatever form of afterlife you believe in." A single blast of swirling black and white energy fires from my triggerblade, creating a large gaping hole through the General's torso. The old man's body wobbles and collapses on to the floor like a ragdoll.

One of my minions picks up and carries the old man's corpse.

I walk to the ancient control panel next to the waygate and place my palm on it. The panel warms up. Then a rift appears from the gate. Next, I proceed through the rift along with my secret service minions and the corpse of General Jansen.

Soon, Arizona and Mathilde, you will know what lies beyond The Dream ... and will unfold into our reality.