Act 1 - Chapter 4: Mezos

What a crazy day! I can't believe Samza, Livia, and I caused that kind of mess. I hope the effort is all worth it.

A chime sounds from my holo-phone and a notification pops up. It's from the Doc: Go check on Ari and see if she's okay.

Last time I checked, Charles brought her to the medical center. She should still be asleep, assuming she hasn't escaped. It's a weird thought, but if she's a trained soldier, then it wouldn't surprise me if she tried to swim. She won't get far though, since Ari is now on an island in the Pacific Ocean.

Anyway, I proceed through the double doors and to the elevator, and head to Ari's room. I knocked on the door. Not an answer. I think she's still asleep. However, the door is open, so I simply slip right in, making not a sound. I also place a sealed note on the counter, given to me by the Doc.

As I gaze at her resting face, I can't help but wonder what she's dreaming about. If she's a Valkyr Dream Diver, then she must have some wild recollections. Then again, Ari was born on Earth, according to the Doc. I don't think she has that kind of power to see old visions or communicate within the dream state.

Ari lets out a gaping yawn and slowly opens her eyes. "Shit," she says with a groggy tone. "Who the hell was that woman?" Her eyelids slowly open and she eventually spots me as she wakes up. "Hey," she says.

"Good morning, Ari," I say with a smile.

"Wait! You're that goat-boy," she says, her eyes widening.

"I am. My name is Mezos."

"I see," she says with one eye dozing off. "And the girl with the rabbit ears. Samza, right?"

"Yeah, she's my sister."

Ari grumbles. "I just had the weirdest dream."

"Oh?" I say, my eyes widening.

"Yeah." she nods. "There was a woman wearing a woad-blue cloak. Purple smoke shrouded her face, but she says that she quote-unquote: 'Seek the truth. Know the lies behind your fortunes and that she'll see me again soon.'"

Seek the truth. Know the lies behind the fortunes. Sounds like I heard this phrase before, but I don't remember where I heard it. I think it was from a secret document or research literature.

Ari points at a tube attached to her arm. "Anyway, where the hell am I and why do I have an IV tube here?" She glances around, gazing aimlessly around the hospital room. "Also, why does that computer screen, with all my vitals, list my race as Valkyr? Why not American or Asian or something?"

Wait, what? I wonder. Ari doesn't know that she's a Valkyr? Oh yeah, that's right. That's because she's born on Earth, not Esthial. She wouldn't even know who the Valkyr cyborgs are. Still, I have to wonder what's on her mind.

"Hey," Ari asks, sounding urgent, haphazardly shifting her head and shoulders, looking for something, "where the hell is my phone? I need to call my girlfriend. She must be worried about me."

"I gave it to the Doc," I say.

"Is the Doc here?"

"No, she's in another building. I can bring you there once the medical crew can confirm that you're well."

Ari closes her eyes, contemplating about something. "I would love to talk to her. If she is alive, I want to know. Maybe she can explain to me why I am here."

"Of course."

A short moment a male En'ari elf android in medical scrubs arrives through the doors — the nurse. He's much taller than me. Then again, so are 99.9% of En'ari elves.

"Good morning, Mr. Súilleabháin," he greets. "Ms. Kagura is doing well, it seems."

"Yes, I'm fine, sir," Ari answers.

"That's good. Then it only seems prudent that we let you go."

"I would appreciate that."

The nurse removes the IV tube from Ari's arm and records her final vitals on a tablet. Soon after, I hand her a sealed note and leave the room for just a moment so that Ari can change her clothes to something sensible.

A minute later, she exits the room and now appears in a white untucked buttoned shirt, black khakis, and brown sneakers.

Before I can ask, Ari takes the note and removes the seal. She says, "I guess I should read this. It's probably the reason I'm here."

"The Doc told me to give it to you. I haven't read it, but I heard it's from Mr. V."

"Who's Mr. V?" she asks.

"The guy who runs this joint." I say, adjusting my glasses. "His office is on the top floor of that big ass tower. That's where we'll be heading first, since Mr. V wants to talk to you. The Doc might be there too." I point towards the general direction of Farron's Tower, the 60-story command center of The Remnants of The Four Crystalbearers.

The moment we leave the medical facility is when she reads the letter.

Out of curiosity, I ask, "So, who's that woman in your dream, anyway? Does she have a name?"

"Goon-something," she says. "I'm sure her name had the word goon in it."

Goon? I wonder if she means Gunhild. That's a common Valkyr name so that person could be anyone who can communicate in a dream. Though there is one Gunhild who comes to mind and that's Gunhild Ylfing, daughter of one of the Four Crystalbearers and Chieftan of the Ylfing Clan, Magnhild Ylfing. "Was her name Gunhild?" I ask.

Ari scratches the back of her head. "I think so. Her accent was kind of strong, but I think that's her name."

"Was she holding a musical instrument?" A random question, but one that could serve a relevance, recalling a time when Valkyr dream divers would sometimes wield sacred instruments for providing moral support for their warrior sisters.

Ari pauses for a moment. "Come to think of it, she had a violin-like instrument strapped to her hip, like how one would holster a sword or gun on their side. I'm not sure why, though."

We continue. However, once we get halfway to the tower, Ari's feet screeches to a halt. Her brows furrow and she pouts, "seriously?" She then crumples the note with one hand.