Act 2 - Chapter 36: Cithara

I sit in Dr. Williams's office as I observe Ari's dream streamed on to a room-wide holographic projector. Also near me are Samza and Mezos, both of them taking notes on their tablets. I'll admit, the dream seemed interesting and strange. To think Ari was born in Area 51 seems so bizarre, yet those creatures who appeared in Mathilde and Ari's dreams may have existed in reality at some point. What if those monsters escaped the confines of the top secret military airport? If Gunhild's monsters are roaming around, then I have yet to see them up close. Though, Milani stated before that such creatures exist in the Aether Dome. 

I know Charles lived at The Doc's foster home for a moment, but I didn't know he was there before Ari arrived. Yet, if that dream has some basis in reality, then it seems Ari arrived at the foster home about six months before I did, considering the Christmas decorations outside the house. 

When I was six-years-old, I became an orphan when my parents died during a pandemic. The Doc adopted me and I moved in during the summer, when the arid Nevada weather was blazing hot. At that point, Arizona had already shortened her name to Ari, which is one of the reasons why, prior to these revelations, I did not know of Ari's origins. 

Mezos shakes his head while pointing at the holographic creatures as Samza scrubs through the video feed. He says, his voice grim, "those creatures are all too familiar. They're the same ones that invaded The Great Tree of Esthial."

"Yup!" Samza nods. "And I'm sure that guy with the funny accent — what's his name?"

"Milani," Mezos says.

"Yeah, Milani. Anyway, he said the Aether Dome has creatures like that."

Mezos points at the flying creatures in Ari's dream. "Also, the Black Rock City contingent spotted similar monsters flying around The Solstice Sky Labs."

Dr. Williams taps her knuckles on her cheeks. "Perhaps this is the reason Area 51 had shut down. I heard the news and rumors of the base ceasing operations almost thirteen years ago, but never knew the full picture. Latest satellite imagery from public sources have are still from thirteen years ago. If this dream depicts what happened before its closure, then it could explain why the government wanted to keep the situation on the down-low."

"So," Samza raises a finger, "instead of CrystalCorp being this big bad company we thought they were, it's Gunhild behind this entire mess?"

"I would say Gunhild is the biggest contributor to this chaos, if not the only one. I theorize she's reaping the benefits of CrystalCorps' intellectual properties for her own nefarious plans. However, that also makes me wonder about CEO Mun Seul Ki's involvement. Rowynn noticed some oddities during CEO Mun's press conference last night, while we observed Ari's dream. According to an email, Rowynn described her as fearful and cautious, a contrast to what Rowynn expects of her estranged sister. Perhaps Gunhild's influence is overreaching."

The door to the office opens and Livia marches in, foot heavy. She places a miniature transparent pouch on Dr. Williams's desk. Inside the pouch is a memory card. "I meant to give you this yesterday, but my bowels weren't in the mood."

Before Dr. Williams opens the bag, something wards her face back, making her nostrils flair. "This bag smells awful. Where has it been?"

"You don't want to know," Livia says, her face remaining stern.

Samza and Mezos say nothing, only giggling to themselves, making funny expressions.

I'm afraid to ask.

"Well, I hope your stomach is doing well," Dr. Williams says as she pulls out a set of tweezers from her desk drawer and uses it to open the bag. "I assume this is the memory card from Ruby's mask, yes?"