Act 1 - Chapter 25: Ari

I knock my head on to the headliner of the Mustang as Mezos and I exit the vehicle. It's a car I would not recommend for tall people like me. I think I like the Subaru better even though both cars are loud and ride rough.

Makoto rolls out and takes her Mustang to an entrance at the rear side of the garage.

Standing at the front entrance are Rowynn in her gray mechanic's overalls, Dax in his black and red gym gear, Dr. Williams in her usual white lab coat, and a snazzy-looking monkey person in a purple dress coat, matching pants, black dress shoes, and mirror-like sunglasses.

Parked next to the crew is a black Mini Countryman Raid SUV decked with off-roading wheels, wide fender flares, and a row of four circular off-road lamps on top of the nose of the car. The car also has a roof rack with a matching spare tire, a gas container, and assorted survival gear strapped on top.

"We heard the great news," the monkey fae greets. "By the way, my name is Pádraig, in case you haven't found out yet."

The name rings a bell. I'm sure I read that name in one of the documents stored in that tablet Dr. Williams gave me the other day. After a quick moment, the thought comes to me. "Oh! You must be Mezos and Samza's dad, yeah?"

The monkey fae raises a brow. "Mez—oh?"

Mezos says nothing. Only grits his teeth and nudges Pádraig's side.

"Oh, of course! Absolutely," Pádraig says with a smile.

I'm not sure if that stutter is a great way to start a friendship, but I think I'll let it slide. I mean, he looks somewhat old. Maybe he's forgetting the name of his own kids.

"I believe we have something that might interest you," Dr. Williams says, motioning Rowynn.

Rowynn heads inside and opens the garage door, revealing a familiar ride.

It's my white electric BMW R nineT Zillers motorcycle. I'm not sure how it got here, but I can tell it's mine. The green vinyl swirly accents — I added that. It didn't come like that from the factory. Though the vehicle location module is not sending notifications to my cybernetic eye. If Rowynn and her mechanics were working on my motorcycle, then they must have removed it.

"Here you go, lass," Rowynn says. "There's your two-wheeled tank. Quite a thick fellow, ain't it?"

Come to think of it, the motorcycle is bigger than the average bike. I picture how it looks like a tank on two wheels.

"It's nimble and odd how it can balance itself without a retractable stand. Quite a sturdy design, I'd say." Rowynn taps the bike's outer shell. "I'm sure it'll prove itself out in the field."

"I purchased the motorcycle because it looks different and interesting compared to the average bike. Being different is my thing," I say.

"Then let's hope your deviance from the norm and your urge to innovate rushes our mission succeed."

A second later, engines from inside the garage start and rev nearby. Considering the lower-pitched rumble, I have to assume it's Charles's Dodge Charger or Makoto's Shelby Mustang, though the four-banger in Sebastian's Subaru STI could be a surprise.

"Sounds like someone wants to set the streets on fire," Dr. Williams says, her head tilting, and her knuckles tapping on her cheeks.

"Now that's a plan," Rowynn mutters while shifting her gaze to Dax. "Dax, go lead Ari to the test track."

Dax nods. "Okay, bro! Follow me. Time to see how your Beemer zips." The brawny man hops into the driver's seat of the Countryman and starts it up. The engine revs and the exhaust lets out a few crackling pop sounds, then some burbling fart noises.