Act 3 - Chapter 37: Ari

Livia is freaking crazy! She can't go after her sister by herself. Not with the power Octavia possesses. The kind to conjure shields and elements from nothing, as if she's some kind of god. Still, Livia is right. I need to rescue Mathilde because I'm not about to find out what Gunhild will do to her. I will not allow it. Not today, not ever!

"Well, I think we can catch up on good times later," I say, stowing my utility knife in my pocket. "For now, we need to head to Rowynn's shop for a briefing."

Samza's floating jellyfish robot, Alexander, twirls and says, "I agree one-hundred percent. I hope you chaps enjoy driving in the desert, because that's where you'll be going."

"Ooh," Samza mutters, her rabbit ears perking up, her teeth grinning. "So, Charles. Wanna drag race over two-thousand horsepower of Dodge muscle over a dry lake bed?"

Charles laughs. "You are one crazy bunny, Sam."

Alexander hovers next to Cithara. "And need not worry about your Porsche, friend. We have altered it so it can run effectively in the harsh desert conditions of Black Rock City."

"I'd imagine new off-roading wheels and a rally-rated engine filter, yes?" Cithara says.

"Of course." Alexander bobs in agreement. "Along with other off-roading centric modifications. Anyway, I will see you all at Rowynn's shop. Our time to siege is coming and we must hurry. Cheerio." The familiar flies out the window and makes haste to the shop.

About fifteen minutes later, Cithara, Charles, Samza, Mezos, and I arrive at Rowynn's shop. The squad's cars appear ready at the parking lot, equipped with rugged off-roading tires, front-mounted push bars, and yellow roof-mounted or hood-mounted flood lights. Charles's Charger and Makoto's Mustang even have externally mounted rusted caged pipe and chicken wire on the windows, accenting it for a post-apocalyptic look. Samza's Challenger also sports a horned buffalo's skull attached to the hood with a rusted chain. Yet, Sebastian's Subaru looks like a normal rally car, only with more rust and additional stickers on the windows representing gothic metal bands from all over the world, according to Librascope.

Cithara approaches her customized car, inspecting the Porsche's new equipment. "Looks like it's ready to survive a zombie apocalypse."

My BMW motorcycle has a similar theme to the surrounding cars. I see rust, but it seems decorative and artificial — it's a vinyl wrap with a fake rust-like texture. I observe the other vehicles and say, "It looks like you guys went overboard with your rides."

Charles shrugs. "Black Rock City has this thing for 'mutant cars.'" He emphasizes with air quotes. "All things considered, these are a bit on the tame side compared to the wacky parade floats you'd find at Black Rock City."

Cithara smiles. "I think we'll fit right in with the locals."

All of us enter the garage and join Rowynn and the gang to prepare for a briefing.

Rowynn turns on a holographic projector, displaying a 3D layout of the nomadic town known as Black Rock City. "Well lads, I'm glad all of you can make here. As you know, Black Rock City is in the middle of a desert, which is why we had to perform modifications to your vehicles, allowing efficient operations while preparing for our siege."

Dax points at key beacons surrounding Black Rock City. "Our bros at the Black Rock Contingent set up beacons all over the desert. Each one has been tracking aetheric fluctuations and strange creature arounds the area. You'll be reporting to Commander Skylar Li for further details as updates arrive. Ari," Dax turns his gaze to me, "you might recognize that name. She used to play for the Neon City Valkyries, just like you."

I recognize that name. Skylar is a former Valkyries team captain who lead for two years prior to her disappearance. Most of my teammates thought she retired and moved on to other ventures, yet no one has kept in touch with her. Until now. I didn't think she would be here with The Remnants, but I guess someone or something persuaded her to join these folks. Now's she's leading an actual crew of defenders at Black Rock City.