Act 3 - Chapter 45: Cithara

We're no longer under the blazing sun. No, it's chilly with clear skies and The Constellations watching over us. Citizens and visitors, many dressed in neon color-changing outfits, gather at The Playa once more to prepare for their annual ritual of burning the tall wooden effigy.

Ari, Mathilde, Mezos, Samza, and I sit on the dusty ground, staring at the head of the giant wooden man, catching up on things. Other members of The Revelers and The Hoon Squad stand by to watch local performers in ritual garb dancing, playing tribal-like music, and chanting songs while wielding blazing torches.

"So, Ari," Samza says while sucking on a gum-ball lollipop, "while you were asleep, Mezos and I were keeping track of the news."

"And?" Ari inquires.

"The first thing is the Neon City Valkyries have officially disbanded. Aside from Cleo and Lucia, the remaining team members are now free agents in the WarGames Players Association."

I ask Samza, "How about The Eyes?"

Mezos says, adjusting his glasses, "The Eyes will no longer oversee the operations of The WarGames. Instead, other companies are vying for the right to do so. Interested parties will gather at an undisclosed location to negotiate terms."

Samza adds, "Also, The Eyes DAO token got rugged, sending rippling effects in the crypto market. Investors used to cash in one token and get a week-long stay at a five-star hotel. Now you can't even buy a whole-ass can of Arizona Tea with it."

Ari asks, "Any news about the Cerayle Sisters?"

Mezos answers, "I got nothing on Livia. Only The Stars know what she's doing."

Samza checks her tablet. "As with Octavia, I have news that would piss Livia off if she was here. Based on the press release on CrystalCorp's website, posted two hours ago, the company's board of directors chose Octavia Cerayle to be the next CEO."

A sudden silence. Octavia as the new CEO? I'm not sure how that makes sense, especially after what happened to The Eyes and their DAO token. Now that I'm thinking about it, since Gunhild is the true leader of The Eyes, perhaps having Octavia lead CrystalCorps' operations is Gunhild's decision. That could be the reason. However, I'm not sure why their DAO token got rug-pulled.

Mezos points to his chin. "If that's the case, then I can guarantee Livia is on a plane right now to South Korea and chasing after her."

I know Livia is an expert in bypassing security protocols, but the security at CrystalCorps' corporate headquarters is much tighter than that of The Solstice Sky Labs. I would know — I lost count of the number of security checkpoints I crossed when I toured the main campus a year ago. One wrong move and everything can go south. Still, I try not to worry about it. For now, it's time to look forward.

I ask, "How about—"

"Freaking Gunhild," Ari finishes. Both of us turn to each other, then back at the fae siblings.

Samza shakes her head. "Nobody knows. The ruins are too irradiated with corrupted aether to verify if Gunhild is alive or not."

Mezos adds, "Seeing that Gunhild is a Valkyr, I wouldn't be surprised if she survived the meltdown. Valkyrs have a natural resistance to aetheric radiation."

A possibility of escape? If so, then I suppose it won't be the last time we'll see her. I just know it.

Samza takes the lollipop from her mouth, waves it, and turns to Ari, eyes squinting, lips pursed. "Also, I think you're the only person I know who says 'freaking.' Not gonna lie, it sounds fucking awkward."

Ari shrugs. "When I was a kid, Dr. Williams took my PlayStation away for a week when I accidentally dropped the f-bomb in an online game. It was embarrassing. That and I have to maintain some restraint when I'm at the front of the camera."

Samza laughs, throwing heavy slaps on her thigh. "Look, Ari. You're 18 now. That means you're a grown-ass adult in human years. I don't think the Doc gives a fuck." Then she puts the lollipop back in her mouth.

"You're probably right about The Doc," Ari says with a sigh.

A voice announces from the loudspeakers. "Citizens and tourists, this is Mayor Hikaru Kagura. The burning will begin in exactly one minute."

We turn our attention to the effigy as we await ignition. The music dies down and the chatter of spectators become quiet.

A minute passes and the moment comes. The blaze ignites and the wooden effigy burns. Smoke billows and the smell of burned wood fills the scene. Embers sparks and an orange and white flame engulfs the wooden structure.

A few minutes after the start of the burning, Hikaru and a tall bronze robot confront us. The mayor smiles. The robot waves at us.

Samza puts the lollipop back in her mouth and waves back with enthusiasm. "Yo, what's up Mayor? Hey CAL."

The robot responds, "My name is CAL."

Hikaru says with a smile, "Arizona and Mathilde, I'm amazed to see you two together again."

Ari says, "We have fulfilled The Promise — your promise."

"No," Hikaru corrects. "Our promise. I no longer feel that burden, and I thank you and all of your friends."

"Miss Hikaru," Mathilde says with an elated smile, "It's good to see you after all these years."

Hikaru nods. "It's good to see you too. I hope you enjoy your new lease in life."

"I will," Mathilde says, smiling. "Arizona is with me now."

"That's right," Ari says, "and no matter what happens, we'll always be together."

I ask the mayor, "What was this promise?"

"To reunite both Arizona and Mathilde. It was a promise we made almost thirteen years ago on the day when Area 51 forcibly shut down. Since then, I wondered how to accomplish that, but all of you are here and I'm fortunate for it."

"Not just Ari and Mathilde," I add, "but the whole gang. Dr. Williams, Charles, and I. Plus some new friends. Makoto and Sebastian taught me a few things about tuning my Porsche. Then there's Dax, Rowynn, and Vahn'dien."

Hikaru says, "it sounds like all of you had a crazy journey."

Ari lets out a weak laugh. "I think crazy is an understatement. All I know is that it was one hell of an adventure."

Hikaru smirks. "After witnessing those strange creatures, nothing should surprise me. For now, we'll have to clean this place after the Samhain Fire Festival ends. Everyone has to do there part, citizen and tourist alike, and leave not a trace of this event."

"Not a trace?" Ari asks.

Hikaru nods. "Like the Burning Man's founders intended. When Samhain is all over, Black Rock City will revert to looking like a hamlet in the desert — a village comprising my bunker, my communications tower, Commander Li's crew at the Nine O'Clock Tribute, and smaller bunkers housing the crew of technicians who maintain the robots that tend the gardens. The tens of thousands of tourists will be long gone, along with their tents, mutant cars, and expressionist art pieces." She lets out a heavy sigh. "I have to say, growing vegetables in the desert is not easy but thank goodness for advanced robotics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning." She follows with a short chuckle.

"Understood," Ari says.

CAL speaks, its voice shrill and tinny. "Current population of Black Rock City: 124,160. Expected population after the events of Burning Man: 42."

I gasp. "Only forty-two people actually live out here in Black Rock Desert?"

Hikaru nods. "Indeed. Anyway, if you're ever around, all of you are always welcome here at Black Rock. For now, enjoy the burning while it lasts."

As the night looms with the weather cooling and the moon shining, the Burning Man continues to immolate, and the locals cheer and dance, celebrating the end of fall and the coming of winter. Yet, for the five of us — Ari, Mathilde, Mezos, Samza, and I — we stand together with a new purpose in life. Whether we start over here at the desert or on Research Base Amelia, this is our family, and we are here, and only The Stars know what will happen next.