CHAPTER 48

Elora carefully placed jammers all around the kitchen before beginning to cook, the other Queens seated on the counters.

They were all still in the same gowns they were wearing at the ball - afterall, it had only been an hour since the horrors had ended.

The KALE were with Aurora in her chambers, and Elora come down to cook for her daughter for when she woke up.

She had come, mostly hoping for solitude, for her to clear her head.

And then the nine other Queens had walked in nonchalantly, as though they owned the place.

Elora couldn't be more grateful for their presence.

"Why are we here?" Annika said, seemingly not liking the heat of the kitchens.

"Um... You all followed me down here. Ask the question to yourself," Elora said.

"But we do need to talk though," Laura said thoughtfully.

"Yes, but why here?" Annika asked.

"Because Elizabeth is stress baking, and Elora is making food for Aurora," Elena said.

"And we need to talk, just us, Queens without anyone overhearing or disturbing us," Vienna added, taking some batter from the large bowl which Elizabeth was whipping ferociously.

Elizabeth slapped her hand with a wooden spatula near her, and Vienna yelped.

"We can do that in Elora's office or chambers, if we really wanted too," Annika pointed out.

"Yeah but we can be disturbed there by Adelaide or someone. We need to speak where no members of the Illuminati can expect us to be. Besides, which is the last place someone would expect Ten Queens to go to?" Elora asked.

"The kitchens," Vienna said.

"Exactly," Elora said, beginning to chop some onions.

"What are you making, Elora?" Johanna asked.

"Enchiladas," she replied.

"Oooh nice! Mum's recipe?" Elena asked, sitting on the counter, beside Mei.

"Yes," Elora asked, moving to the corn and garlic.

"So we came here to discuss recipes?" Mei asked.

"That would be good, but sadly, no," Elizabeth said, testing the consistency of her batter. "Also, Elora - won't it be a bit  more hygienic for you to change your dress?".

Elora looked down at herself - she had ripped off her sleeves, but her dress was still bloodstained.

"No time," she said. "I have news".

"On?" Mei asked.

"The assassin," Elora said. "He's dead".

"How?" Elena asked.

"He's ingested poison before coming to shoot us," she replied.

"So he knew he would be caught," Dhiya stated.

"Of course! He may have somehow managed to slip in, but once he shoots, obviously he would have been caught. He knew that. And he knew that we would try to question him," Mei said.

"He's like a suicide bomber," Stella said quietly.

"I just can't imagine... I can't imagine what would have happened if he managed to shoot us," Johanna said, her voice trembling.

"I know you're thinking about why Ella had to take the bullets, Elora, but if she hadn't... I'm scared to think what would have happened," Mei said.

"Public mutiny, World War 5, disintegration of the monarchy, all of the above?" Elena asked.