CHAPTER 36

The change in Elora was almost instantaneous.

"Andrea. Order a video call with the press in an hour. Get my stylists ready and tell them I'm going for the elegant, chic look. I want the security footage of the past few months thoroughly vetted - anything unusual, anyone out of place is to be reported to me and brought to the palace, if they're not in it already. Bring Elanor here, and distract her by asking her to build a fort around Elodie's bed," Elora ordered, sounding confident and stern like she usually was.

"We'll talk to Queen Mei," Elena said, steering Aurora to the next wing, into a conference room.

But before they went, Elora called Aurora's name out.

Aurora half turned to see her mother with a smile on her face.

"Thank you," she said.

Aurora nodded, and rushed away with her aunt.

"Do you think a sweatshirt and tights are an appropriate costume to talk to a Queen?" she asked.

"Oh Queen Mei has seen me in my undergarments roaming around the castle during my Selection," Elena said breezily.

"What on earth did you guys do back in your days?" Aurora wondered.

"The point is, Queen Mei has seen much worse. I doubt she'll mind you in home clothes," Elena said, as a guard opened the door to the conference room.

Queen Mei had already connected into the call.

"It isn't true, is it?" she asked, looking truly regal in a red qipao.

"Of course it's not!" Elena said, sounding offended.

Mei sighed. "Please explain".

"We've placed jammers all around the palace to prevent the news from going out, but somehow, a minute after we get some information, an article is released online. It had been two minutes since the doctor said Elodie was poisoned, when the second article released," Aurora said. "And the weapon used to stab King Edward is the knife I used to cut the birthday cake. And conveniently the security footage wasn't recorded, and there was some confusion in the guards' schedule such that no one were anywhere near the third floor".

"You forgot to mention how Edward was stabbed on the day they knew there wouldn't be any blood for transfusion," Elena said.

"The more you talk, the more evident it's become that all of this is planned," Queen Mei said, massaging her head.

"But by whom?" Aurora asked. "It's like they've planned this for months!".

"Maybe, maybe not. But it's obvious that this plan has been in motion for a while," Queen Mei said.

"But why would they poison Elodie? She's just a young girl," Elena said.

"It's a warning," Aurora realized. "If they want to kill someone by poisoning them, why would they use a weak poison which can be easily reversed?".

"Warning of what, though? That they have eyes and ears everywhere in the palace?" Elena asked.

"Exactly. They may be listening to us even now," Queen Mei said, hesitating as she looked at Aurora and asked her aunt, "Do you think its them?".

"I can't be," Elena said, gasping.

"It may be," Queen Mei countered.

"Um... Who are you two talking about?" Aurora asked, feeling completely lost.

"This information is not for you. Not now," Elena said dismissively, before turning back to the other Queen and saying, "I'll need to talk to Elora to confirm".