CHAPTER 40

"Now we fast forward a few years and see me get Selected," Aurora said, pushing the pictures away and opening a new video.

"What is this?" Eric asked, looking at the video - a black car was smashed to the ground by a large truck.

The car only had air bags at the front - which meant that the driver would survive, but the passengers would lose their lives  in the matter of seconds.

Thankfully, the driver had escaped with only a few bruises, and there were no passengers seated behind.

Aurora pulled open another picture of a black car, and said, "The car which was smashed was nearly identical to the one Andrea and I was travelling in. In fact, it was going towards the airport just an hour before we went on the same route. There was a traffic jam, in that road, so Andrea and I took the side streets to reach the airport".

"So they've tried to kill you before you reached the palace itself," Elena stated.

Aurora nodded.

"They knew that it would be too difficult to harm me when I was in the palace. The press would begin digging into the issue if a Selected was found dead in her room. And they didn't want that. And so they tried other methods," she said.

She pushed those pictures and videos away, and pulled a receipt hidden behind the other holographs.

"This is the receipt for a can of fluorescent yellow spray paint," Aurora said, "It was bought an hour before Ashley entered the airport at Carolina".

"So?" Lucian asked, and Aurora recalled that he didn't know the incident with the spray paint and the door yet.

Adelaide narrated it quickly, and gestured for Aurora to continue.

"The day that scene happened, for about two minutes, the security cameras didn't work. And the recorders in Ashley's room was blocked by something, causing the sound recorded to be very muffled and almost inaudible," she said.

"So you're saying Ashley was the one who did it?" Kate asked.

Aurora nodded.

"Huh," Kate said. "I always thought it was you, Addy".

Adelaide rolled her eyes at her.

"But why would she do that? Or rather, why would the Illuminati tell her to do that?" Elora asked.

"They thought it would intimidate me, that it would frighten me into dropping out of the Selection," Aurora said. "They had sent the news to Ashley to buy the paint as soon as I'd escaped the car crash".

"They have so many backups," Eric said, wonderingly.

"How did you collect so much information? And how did you know which information to collect?" Lucian asked, looking around at the screens that glowed around them in a ring.

Aurora shrugged. 

"I haven't even come to the main part yet," she said, swiping the screen a few more times.

"That's a picture of the Anniversary Ball," Elora said.

Aurora nodded.

"You all know that the doctors had to use nanotechnology to fix my ribs because there was a substance that blocked other techniques from being used," she said.

Everyone looked at her, trying to understand where she was leading them.

"The only thing I ate or drank at the ball was-".

"My glass of champagne. Right! You grabbed it from me," Eric said.

"Exactly. And I began feeling a bit drowsy after that, and I left due to... things, and met Millie in the corridor and.... Well, the point is, many things happened and then I collapsed in my room," she said.