Chapter 45

The journey back to the great hall passed in a blur. Wetness dried on my skin, leaving it stiff and sticky. My wings scraped the walls, sending shivers through my body. A light sensation overtook me, like I was floating on air. All I could see was what I had to do. Power surged through my body in anticipation. I listened closely to the hearts, separating the strange from the ones that were familiar. The physical sounds of battle grew louder.

I stumbled into the hall. For a moment, I stood where I was. I observed my dedicated soldiers. They fought bravely. Red uniforms mixed with black on the ground, necks stabbed through, limbs disjointed from bodies. Blood and spilled wine permeated the air. A feast turned to a blood bath. But as courageously as my soldiers fought, it was clear it was not enough. They were out numbered and without their leader, Darren. They were at a disadvantage against the remaining Garnetti. I curled my lip.

Fingers curled around my shoulders, sharp nails digging into my tender skin. I relaxed under the touch. I was here now.

Everything would be alright. The fighting would be over soon.

It took several moments for anyone to notice me. I waited patiently. Slowly, one by one, gazes snagged on me, then stuck. Widened eyes, parted lips. The fighting came to a slow halt. All without a single word from me. Pleasure bloomed inside me at the knowledge.

I expanded my arms. The Garnetti looked from my face, to my still naked body, then to my wings. I saw the moment fear settled in.

I smiled.

"You have come," I said, voice low, but the room was so quiet my words rung through it, reminding me of an Angelic melody. Pleasure made me shiver. I liked that sound. "You have conquered, my intrusive guests. I see you have helped yourselves to my food, my drink, my people."

Among the fighters, I saw a curly head shift. I had sensed her heart still beating, but seeing her alive, unharmed, settled whichever turmoil had lingered in my heart. Darren had been a mistake. I would not make the same one with her.

The Garnetti shifted under my words. They were all men, all weak before me, a woman. Some of them couldn't look away from me, others couldn't bear the sight of me.

I stepped deeper into the room, passing through them. A wide path formed before me as I weaved through the frozen soldiers.

"But all those things were not yours to take." I stopped before the throne. I looked at my Mother's headless body. I turned, spreading my wings. I knew if I demanded the Garnetti to leave, they would flee. They would run away like frightened hounds with their tails between their legs. They would surrender.

That would also be a mercy that was not afforded to my people. A mercy I was not willing to give.

I turned, spreading my wings. Hearts beat furiously around me. Garnetti, and Roserian. I had never noticed the smell of fear before. I smelled it now, the pungent scent of sweat and piss.

"And now you will pay the price of taking from a Rose Queen."

At the last minute, I sensed a few trying to escape. It was nothing but the futile twitch of a mouse's nose when cornered by a cat. They turned, weapons ready. I zeroed in on their hearts. Separated the ones in black from those in red.

I held up my hands, laid them flat, then slowly curled my fingers inward. I felt it. The hearts in my hands. I squeezed and squeezed. My vision turned red, hot sticky tears ran down my face. A searing heat spread through my veins. I accepted the pain. It was a sign of my gift working.

The men halted, then writhed. Grasped at their chests, clawed at their throats. Wide, bulging eyes. They shuddered then fell. My soldiers did little but stare as their enemies' skin started to warp, to expand, small pinpricks of red appearing when their skin was exposed.

One last push, one last burst of pain. I fell to my knees from the exertion. A wave of blood and flesh spilled over the room, drenching the walls, splattering the white faces of the angelic queens looking down upon us.

And as a wave of nausea buckled through me, nearly making me pass out, I knew, finally, they were proud of me.

Sensing a gaze on me I blinked and looked up through a sea of red. Around me my soldiers stood in a wide circle. Through the carnage, one set of eyes dared to meet mine.

Sabine.

Horror filled her gaze as she stared back at me.