Chapter 44

I'm not sure how long I sat there. Naked, cold, shivering in the water, wrapped up in my own wings. Every time I opened my eyes all I saw was blood. Darren's blood.

I hadn't meant to do it. I hadn't meant to hurt him. I would never hurt him; I wouldn't hurt anyone.

Except Pierre. I told myself, remembering stabbing him. That had been me, right? But Pierre had deserved it. He was bad, evil. He was the reason for all of this. I wouldn't have had to use my magic if it wasn't for Pierre.

Darren had disobeyed me. If he had just listened. He wouldn't have been down here. I wouldn't have hurt him. I knew when the change took over the body, I would be unstable. It had been in what mother told me of the ceremony. I remembered the day. One of the few times she had spoken to me alone. I had sat in her private study, and we had discussed it. She had detailed it to me, then made me recite it all back. So that I could tell my daughter or niece. Then she could tell hers. Just in case one day we needed it.

If only she had known that day would be now.

The memory of my mother finally roused me. I slowly unfolded my wings. It was awkward, like I had another set of arms. The wings didn't show up for every Rose Heir, from what I was told. Sometimes the gift manifested stronger in some than others. Sometimes it was just a few strands of red hair, a purplish-red shade to the eyes. But when I was born I had manifested it fully, so it made sense I would have the wings now that I had awakened the Great Mother's gift.

I could feel it. It's power.

I stood. I forced myself to look at the blood, what remained of Darren's body. His heart no longer beat. But I could hear others.

So many others. Overhead. Gone was the slow beat of drunkenness. Now they pulsed, thudded. Quickened with fear and adrenaline.

A battle was taking place. Even in Darren's absence, my soldiers had launched their attack. I searched the beats, finding her easily. Sabine. She was fighting.

I smiled.

"Ah, there you are. So pretty."

The voice had come from behind me. I turned slowly. It was both familiar and strange. A shadowy figure shifted in the dark, perched on the top of the podium. Hunched in a crouch, misshapen protrusions stretching from its back.

Wings. Like mine.

The shadows clung to the creature, but I felt their smile, a shiver rolling over my skin as their eyes focused on me. "Queen Ophelia. We have been watching you. Waiting for your reign."

I tilted my head. "You're an Angel, aren't you?"

A satisfied thrum filled the air. "Yes lovely. But not just any Angel. I am your Angel."

I narrowed my eyes. I still couldn't make it out. But I knew where the voice was from now. That day, in the tree. The whispers that had always followed me. "I remember you."

Another smile surrounded me. It softened the edges of my mind. Everything faded away, the pleasure of knowing I had pleased my Angel filled me with overwhelming joy.

"Yes, my love. That was me. It has always been me." A pause. "You know what you must do, don't you, My Queen?"

I blinked. I did know. Perhaps I had always known all along.

I shifted uneasily. It meant I had to leave. It meant I had to pass by Darren.

"It's okay," the Angel said, sensing my distress. "It was not your fault. It was his, for following you. A sacrifice for the greater good. There will be more to come, in time. You need to be ready."

I let out a breath. The Angel was right. Darren should have listened to me.

"But first, you have a task, don't you?"

I nodded. It was time.

"Yes." I looked up at the Angel. All I could see were kind red eyes. "I will do what needs to be done."

And this time, no one would be able to stop me from taking what was mine.