Chapter 12

Dear Ophelia,

Things have been just wretched without you. Parties with the Courtiers have kept me busy, but you know how it is. Mother and our sister have been in meeting after meeting, leaving me absolutely alone with nothing but my thoughts. I could not wait a moment longer to send you a letter, even though I know I promised I would wait at least a few weeks to let you get settled.

So how is it? Is the prince handsome? If not, any courtiers catch your eye? I know, I know. You are meant for the prince. But live a little, Sister, you will be married soon enough! It doesn't mean you can't look. I've heard only rumors of Garnetti entertainment, but I have heard it gets wilder than even Verenice. I do hope you have allowed yourself some fun. Please tell me everything so I may enjoy myself through your experiences.

It upsets me that I won't be there to see you on your true wedding day, Rosebud. But hopefully, with this wedding, I will be able to visit you and your new home soon enough.

With love,

Elliotte.

Tears pricked at my eyes, thinking of Elliotte's letter. About a week had passed since Jourdon's departure and I had kept myself busy. I had decided to avoid Pierre, and had been mostly successful since that night, leaving me to stomach the king at dinner on my own. He was usually half drunk at the start and never lingered long, but even a few minutes were painful with his leers and jibes. I had not again seen the queen since visiting her in the Pearl Room, and very little was said about her amongst the courtiers.

Often, I entertained myself by having tea with the courtiers and aristocrats, and walking the gardens in the afternoon. They were beautiful, with creatures carved from trees and bushes. In Verenice everything had been wilder, less tamed, brambles of roses allowed to stretch out their arms and legs to envelop our gardens. Since the rose was the symbol of Roserian might, trying to shape them or prune them—cutting away their thorns—was frowned upon.

The strict and even edges of the Garnetti gardens made me think of their women. Perfect shapes of their ideal selves. I was starting to find, despite all my teachings, trying to fit into their mold was more tiring than I expected.

No wonder in the evenings so many of them escaped, took to liquor and gambling in Pierre's private parties. Every night music wafted down the hall from his room, laughter and cheers leaking out every time someone entered or departed. Every night that went by without another invite from Pierre left me feeling more like I stood on the outside, always looking in.

"You are quiet today, Your Highness."

I looked over to Darren. He was accompanying me today. Sometimes a member of the court would see me walking, and come over to walk with me, making incessant small talk that made my head throb.

The whispers had become more common since the other night, and I hadn't the faintest clue as to why. It was not uncommon for my head to hurt so much by the time evening came that I retired to my rooms early, holding a pillow to my head, trying to make it stop. Like I had done as a child before I had grown used to them.

Now it was like adjusting all over again.

I smiled at Darren. "Just thinking of home."

Darren's gaze flickered. I wondered if Elliotte had sent him a letter as well. Just thinking of how hard it must be for both of them made my heart yearn to reach out and hug Darren, like we might have when we were younger. But to do that now would be scandalous, even with only the eyes of the hedges around us.

"I'm sure it is thinking of you just as much as you are thinking of it."

I smiled in response but found the smile difficult to hold. I wasn't so sure. The talk of Mother and Sister in their meetings, Elliotte and his parties. Though I did not doubt my bother missed me, life went on as usual. The palace was completely undisturbed without my presence. Like all these years I had only been a ghost, my presence fainter than the rest.