Chapter 2

Early autumn sunlight filtered through the forest that bordered the palace as I stood out on its steps, waiting for my handmaids and guards to finish their final preparations.

Across from me I watched Darren giving out orders as he dealt with directing servants to load up the carriages, his face stern and, his brow furrowed with a mirror of the same nerves dancing around in my stomach.

A flurry of men in pinks and yellows tended to my trunks as they loaded the last of them into my carriage. It was strange, seeing all my possessions—my very existence—whittled down to no more than a few boxes. I was bringing only some clothes and a few keepsakes, the rest to be provided for me in my new home—the Court fashions of Garnette were likely quite different than what I was familiar with here.

I let out a slow breath. Elliotte and I had already shared our goodbyes in private. It had been teary-eyed, even though I had done my best to hold back most of them.

I missed him already. My brother, my friend. The one person I had ever allowed myself to get close too. We both promised to write and to visit...but I already knew visits would be difficult. Even with my marriage to Jourdon in the terms of the Accords, the transition from enemies to neighbours would be a long and arduous one. Things were not changing quickly enough, but I was hopeful once Jourdon stepped into power with me at his side, I could bring on the change my mother had arranged for.

I smoothed out my travel clothes, fighting off another swell of emotion— it was somewhat more comfortable than my usual attire since I would be sitting for through a long journey--but no less extravagant. I would be meeting my husband and giving the court their first glimpse of me in these after all. Golden roses shone over soft pink that shimmered a red deep enough to match my hair. I was a like a doll, primped and decorated, ready to be placed on a Garnetti shelf, or rather, a future Garnetti King's arm.

I frowned at my own thoughts, quickly silencing them. I shouldn't be thinking like that. I was just sad to be leaving Elliotte. That was all. I needed to exude an aura of calm. Sweetness. Joy over my task—marriage, peace, a new Era. The Angels wished it, and so it would be.

After last night's onslaught of angelic whispers, they were blessedly quiet today. The remainder of last night's headache still throbbed, the sunlight like daggers in my eyes. I narrowed them, shielding them with my hand as Mother approached.

"Daughter."

I lowered into a respectful curtsy. Then I met my mother's eyes.

"Mother," I replied. "Kind of you to see me off."

Queen Laverne tilted her head as she inspected me, her gaze running a shrewd line down my clothes, searching for imperfections. At her shoulder, Blanche stood, quiet, her gaze distant. She didn't meet my eyes, and another pang rang through my heart. I wasn't sure if I favoured Elliotte's tears or Blanche's complete indifference. Both hurt in different ways. I clenched my fists, letting my nails dig into my skin as I hid them in the folds of my skirts, trying to fight off another wave of tears.

I had to hold it together. There were too many eyes on me, always watching.

"I leave the fate of this Queendom in your hands, child."

I lifted my chin, the only sign of my defiance I could allow myself. I itched to remind her that at eighteen years, I was far from a child. "The Angels watch over me."

Mother nodded, the harsh line of her mouth unwavering. Her smooth, ivory skin appeared carved of stone, like she already was stationed in the Great Hall with our angelic ancestors. "Angels Above. You may not be my heir, but your task is no less important. You must not forget that."