Chapter 27

Throughout the rest of the night, Jourdon did not leave my side once. We spent most of our time dancing, leaving me admittedly flushed. I did not get a reprieve until a stately-looking man approached Jourdon. I recognized him as the General of the guard.

"Just need a drink and to cool off," I said to him, plastering a thin smile on my face. He hesitated, the General already approaching. It would be rude to duck away now and follow me. I fanned my sweat-soaked skin for emphasis. It wasn't a complete lie.

Jourdon scanned over the room before nodding.

"Very well." He chewed the inside of his lip like he wanted to add more. He turned from me, his back tense. "Don't be long."

I nodded, slipping away just before the general and his wife reached Jourdon, their curious gazes following me as I swept a drink off a passing tray, the sparkling wine washing over my lips like too-sweet syrup.

I let out a deep breath, it was clear that Jourdon was tense about something, he had been since before the ball. A slippery shiver settled at the base of my spine. I couldn't shake the idea that something was wrong. I maneuvered to the far-off reaches of the room where the air was less dense with people. Thankfully the courtiers were too deep in their cups to pay me much mind. I just needed a few moments alone so I could try and figure out where Sabine was.

I was almost out of the throng when I caught a snippet of conversation. I paused, lingering on the other side of the pillar, just out of sight.

"Did you hear about the princess? Stringing along the two princes. Such a blatant woman," preened the voice of a woman I vaguely recognized, though I couldn't place her name. Lavender gems dangling from her ears like extravagant candle wax.

"What do you mean?" whispered back her friend. Her natural blonde roots sat pale, close to the base of her scalp, charcoal-colored dust trying unsuccessfully to hide them.

"She stands there on the arm of our heir, but a maid is reported to have seen her in the gardens with Prince Pierre doing...unspeakable things."

"Prince Pierre," the other lady gasped. "How scandalous. The gardens too! What a flagrant woman. Mind you, I would happily strip down in the gardens for all to see should Prince Pierre ever wish it." The lady giggled.

Clenching my jaw, I breezed past, not wanting to hear another word. This wasn't good. I needed to go now, especially if Pierre and I had been found out.

I had known I was being reckless, but how much of a lovesick fool I had been slammed into me, catching my breath. The hush that had fallen over the room when I entered felt more ominous, the king's lecherous leer more concerning. What if he knew? What if they all knew? My blood went cold.

I hadn't cared about the consequences thinking there wasn't much time. But I was still here. There was still time for me to feel the burn of the choices I had made.

What had Jourdon been about to tell me earlier? Was it because he knew about me and his brother? I had evaded him then, but I was not sure I could evade him much longer.

I had to leave. And now. There was no knowing what would happen next.

The music continued around me, taunting me as it spread over the room. Like a symphony that had turned into a death march. I searched for Sabine. Where was she? I needed her now more than ever.

"Ophelia," came a low, male voice. I nearly jumped, half expecting it to be a soldier coming to fetch me for the king. But when I looked up I nearly collapsed with relief.

Darren.

"Where's Sabine?" I asked tersely. I licked my dry, nervous lips, cold sweat gathering at the base of my spine. "We need to go. Now."

Darren's jaw was tense. "She hasn't arrived yet. We cannot leave without her. She supposed to set up our transport once out of the castle. Have you not seen her yet?"

Distracted, I shook my head. I glanced around the room. We were off in the corner, behind the pillars, but not so far out of sight, we would go unseen if someone was looking. Music and laughter rose up in a wave, a roll of nausea settling in my stomach.

"I haven't seen her since last night."

"I see." Darren worked his jaw, but I didn't miss the worry in his eyes. "It's not like her. She always works on a strict, set schedule. She would not be late unless there was a problem."

I knew it. I knew something was wrong. Sabine should be here. How dare she not be here when I needed her? Concern mixed with anger, roiling inside me. I had grown used to her presence, and now not having it left me alone and vulnerable...

And afraid.

I let out a deep breath, looking around the room. I was being paranoid. I swallowed thickly, trying to tamper down my unsettled nerves.

"Well, we will wait then. I do not like it, but it would be unwise to be rash," I said, but I wanted nothing more than to do the complete opposite. Run through the ballroom's doors, and storm outside the palace walls. Find Sabine and unleash my anger on her.

Darren inspected me, his gaze narrowing, my old friend stepping forward, leaving the soldier behind. "What is it? What has you so unsettled?"

I parted my lips, but I didn't know how to respond. What I was experiencing was a feeling more than anything with firm truth behind it. I just needed to be patient. Sabine would be here soon and by the end of the night, I would be on my way home, just as planned.

But before I could say anything, Darren's expression shuttered as he looked over my shoulder. He dipped into a respectful bow. A bow meant for royalty. My skin prickled.

"Your Highness."

I spun. Pierre stood there, crooked smirk on his red lips, the garnets on clothes glittering dimly in the shadows.