Chapter 38

Silence hung around us. Too silent. I stood still, watching Pierre warily. He was covered in blood, but a smile curled across his lips. He stepped towards me once we were alone.

"See, I told you I would take care of everything. Sure, there were a few...complications. But now we can be together. Just the way it should be." He held out his arms, like I might run over and embrace him.

I stepped back. "What have you done?"

Pierre's smiled wavered, and he let out a soft breath. "I see. Well I suppose my means weren't ideal, but you can forgive me, can't you?"

He stepped closer, tilting his head as he gazed at me intensely. "Now we are one step closer to where we need to be, that's all. I would have preferred you release the magic first, but that will come in time. It will all work out. The plan is already in motion." He laughed lightly. "It was all too easy once father was angry to manipulate him. So emotional, so irrational."

He sighed and shook his head. "I guess after meeting you I can finally understand how human emotion can get the best of us."

A chill slithered down my spine. The silence of the Angels was as unnerving as Pierre's smile.

"What are you talking about?" I tried to move away from Pierre, to put some space between us, but he followed me. I couldn't think. Only moments ago I had still thought I had killed him, and had felt something when I wanted so badly to not care at all. Now he was here, still alive, and all I could think about was why isn't he dead?

Pierre let out a heavy sigh. "You can stop looking at me that way. You aren't the only one who can ask for miracles."

My tongue went dry. Was that really it? That he too somehow had the same Gift I did. I looked him over. Dark inky hair, piercing blue eyes. He was just the same as he always had been. I tensed my jaw. No. What I had thought I had seen in the dungeon was an illusion, Pierre was just messing with my head. Like had been all along.

I would not fall for it this time.

"You're lying."

Pierre tilted his head. "You really think so? I suppose I deserve that. I will admit I did lie to you initially."

He moved closer. My back hit one of the stone pillars. My heart raced as I tried to look for an escape, but before I could move Pierre's arms came up, caging me in. It was the night of the ball all over again.

And this time, despite all my resolve, all my dignity, I just wanted to get away. To be small. For none of this to have happened.

Tears prickled my eyes. "Why can't you just leave me alone?"

Pierre's grip was gentle as he took my chin, turning it toward him. "You're crying."

He wrapped his arms around me as I trembled. His touch felt wrong--unwelcome. He gripped my head, curling it so it rested against his chest. I could hear the steady beat of his heart, the overwhelming scent of his and his father's blood filling my head. I was frozen, locked in place. Afraid to move...

Afraid for the gentleness to stop.

"Hush," he said softly, like he was speaking to a child. "I understand it is a lot. But I am here now, I won't let you be hurt again. You are mine, remember? You are mine. You know that right? Just let me take care of you, stop resisting. I want it all to stop just as much as you do."

I shivered.

It would be easy, I realized. To give in to whatever illusion Pierre held. To pretend what he was saying was true. That it would be alright. That he would protect me. Part of me even wanted it, to pretend he wasn't the one behind all of my pain. It was up to me, wasn't it? If I just gave in, it would stop. Old memories rose around me, his touch, his lips. The way he looked at me. That first night we shared together. As if he too remembered, his hands moved down my back, over the swell of my hips.