Chapter 28

[cw: physical abuse]

"What have we here, a tryst with a guard?" said Pierre. He puckered his lips into a pout, lowering his lashes as he moved closer, pausing to run one red tipped fingernail down Darren's shoulder, his lips pulling into a coy grin.

But just as quickly he focused back on me, something hot and forbidden flashing in them. "My, my, you sure know how to tempt my jealousy. First, you hang off my brother all night, now I catch you whispering in the shadows with this handsome man."

I pressed my lips together, looking at Pierre warily. Usually, I would be amused by his wiles, but right now it only grated on my nerves.

"Nothing of the sort, Your Highness. I was only taking a break and my guard was checking on me." I gestured to Darren. "I was telling him that I wish to be left alone," I added, my tone coming out colder than I intended.

Pierre's smile slipped off his face, blue gaze turning to ice. "So cold. I was only hoping now that you were free from my brother, I might be able to have a moment."

Guilt smothered me, and I loosened my shoulders. It was not fair to take this out on Pierre. He was simply being himself.

"My apologies. Tonight has been long. Your company is always welcome."

I glanced at Darren, and I nodded dismissively. Darren's expression quickly soured, but he dutifully bowed and parted from us, leaving Pierre and me alone.

Pierre smiled brightly, linking his arm with mine. He glanced around the room quickly.

"Let us go somewhere a little more private..." He winked at me. I smiled at him thinly but shook my head.

"Not now Pierre. I've already been gone from Jourdon too long. He's going to be looking for me."

Pierre pouted. "Oh, come one, just a few moments." He dipped his head down, breath brushing my ear. "You know I never take long to please you."

My cheeks flushed, but it was not enough to banish my nerves. Pierre was so pushy sometimes; it was hard not to get wrapped up in the storm he always brought with him. He started to pull me forwards, but I pressed my heels into the ground, my body stiff.

"No, Pierre. I mean it. Others are already suspicious of us."

The carefree expression on Pierre's face slipped, something hard passing through his eyes. "I don't care what they think. I just want one minute alone with you. You owe me after I've had to suffer through watching you and perfect Jourdon all night."

Frustration and guilt warred within me. It was a terrible idea to slip away with Pierre right now, but he was a distraction, and a distraction was what I wanted more than anything at that moment.

Besides, if I had been forced to watch him on the arm of another man or woman all night, I probably wouldn't be all to happy either. i frowned. Perhaps I was more attached to Pierre than I initially thought.

"Just a few moments—and no one can see us."

Eyes alight, he bit his lip seductively. "I wouldn't mind being watched," he purred.

"Pierre," I said in exasperation. "Please."

He laughed merrily, pulling me deeper into the shadows of the room. Fortunately, the other courtiers weren't paying much mind to the world around them. A drunken haze had overtaken the room. It was so unlike any ball I had attended before. In Rosailles though liquor ran freely, it was rarely so widely consumed with such... excess.

I hurried my steps to match Pierre's. Jourdon was out there somewhere, possibly already searching for me. I couldn't risk him seeing me with Pierre.

Pierre tugged into a hallway. It was one of the servants' halls, less adorned than the rest of the palace. There was only a single flickering sconce on the wall to light it, cool brick lining the passage. Pierre led me through the thick shadows, pressing me against the wall.