Chapter 35

Chantel

"Here's your medicine, dad. You need to drink it now, yeah?" I placed the medicines and a glass of water on top of his breakfast table while he sat carefully against the headboard.

Half of his body became paralyzed due to a stroke, and as her daughter, of course, I had to go home to take care of him. He's still my father, after all.

I left the room with the breakfast table after he finished drinking. This has been one of my daily routines for four years now: cook breakfast for us every morning and make him take his medicines before I prepare myself to check on our winery.

My first two years here were really tough because, aside from taking care of dad and our business, I had to take care of myself too and focus on healing my traumas by seeing a therapist weekly. But just last year, I had great news from Dr. Alice Robinson, my therapist, I only need to see her once a month, and according to her and based on my therapy results, I'm now getting better.

The update made me somewhat happy and relieved, especially since I promised someone that I would heal from everything.

After cleaning the kitchen, I walked straight to my room to have a warm bath because winter is around the corner and I hate freezing water.

I stripped off as soon as I closed my bathroom door and jumped slowly into the bathtub until my whole body was completely submerged.

Feeling the shade of comfort brought by the warm water makes me close my eyes and let my thoughts run free.

Until now, thinking about my past always made me feel a slight pinch on my chest, but my mind still wanted to recollect the memories of when my life started to become a living hell.

"Bloody hell!" The words just slipped out of my mouth out of shock upon opening the door.

I just came home from our winery, and the sight of my dad on the floor made me panic.

"Dad, what happened?" I asked while hurriedly rushing to check on him.

There's blood on the edge of his lips, like he was punched or something.

"Brilliant. So this is your daughter?" A man said. His voice seemed like it came from my back, so I turned around to see him.

I wanted to punch the lights out of this man because I knew he was the one who hurt my father, but I held back because of the gun in his hand.

"Let's go, woman. Your beloved father just paid his debt using her daughter, and therefore, you are my property now."

"That's rubbish! He's lying, right? Dad?" I turned to Dad with wide eyes to confirm what the man had said, but he just looked down and shook his head slowly.

"I am deeply sorry, Chantel. Please forgive me," Dad muttered, still looking down on the floor.

My eyes got blurry until I felt something warm start to flow across my cheek. My eyes are still fixed on Dad, but I can't think of anything anymore. It's like my brain shuts down on its own.

"Take her." I heard the man speak again, and seconds later, four pairs of strong arms clung to each of mine and raised me from the floor.

I opened my eyes to prevent myself from remembering the past further. I should continue bathing before I start to think of drowning myself here. Just kidding.

...

I parked my yellow Ford Bronco Everglades in front of my favorite cafe. Although the place is small, the coziness of the cafe once you get inside will make you stay longer. They serve top-tier coffees and other beverages too, but what always pulls me here is their Aberdeen Butteries, which are my all-time favorites.