Chapter Forty-Five: The Realization

The day of the Dark Exile began like any other.

Meadow raced down the street, her friends and Rose behind her. Quickly, as they all reached a clearer opening, they got a very vivid picture of what was happening in the kingdom: absolute carnage.

They watched as people ran past them, being literally thrown out of their homes by guards, families being ripped apart, and buildings crumbling down to the ground.

As the group seemed surrounded by the destruction ensuing, someone directly bumped into Meadow while they weren't looking.

"Hey, woah!" Meadow caught them before they fell, noticing their panic. "Are you okay?"

"What's happening?!" Rose yelled over the screaming.

The person started to run back past them. "The Dark Elements are getting thrown out!"

"They're what—?" Rose exhaled, turning to look at the palace. "What's happening up there?!"

-

"Pretty cracked, huh?" Paladin laughed shortly.

"Looks like it could pop at any second." Mage put the mask back on his face delicately. "Of course, that's a good thing. We're about to be at peace."

"I mean, it hasn't been so bad having you around." Harry shoved his hands in his pockets, hiding affection as he usually did. "How do we know the new guys will do this job right?'

"You can trust me that she will." Mage smiled. "The new Paladin, uhhhh—he has a lot to learn."

"Hey!" Paladin laughed, nudging Mage.

"I'm only kidding!" Mage threw her hands up.

"We don't know who they are," said Hazel, her voice trembling. "We only know you."

Paladin put a hand on her shoulder. "We're the same people, Your Majesty."

"Oh, you've no need to call me that, dear." Hazel flapped her hand at the very tall spirit. "No need at all. You're the ones with the real power here, after all."

"What are you going to do after you retire?" Anson asked.

"Our particles will separate once we fully crack," Mage started, taking her brother's hand, "and we'll drift away in an endless void, feeling nothing but relaxation."

"It's like the beach." Paladin nodded.

"If the beach had no sand, or water, or ground to stand on."

"A stone beach!"

"You have never been to a stone beach in your life, Paladin."

"You've never been to a real beach in your life! How's that for more experience?" Paladin smiled, crossing his arms triumphantly.

"I think it's starting." Mage turned to the palace, closing her eyes. She smiled. "Shall I broadcast it to you all?"

"You can do that?!" Harry exclaimed.

Mage turned, smiling as she teased. "Oh, Harry, you've no need to watch it, you've already figured out who I am and all—"

"PUT IT ON." Harry's eyes bulged, seeming excited. "I wanna watch it!"

"Okay, okay!"