Chapter Forty-Three: Amaranth

The day of the Dark Exile began like any other.

People were roaming the streets freely, as were two children, who had no idea they'd be causing the event later today.

Cole and Meadow from the past were now 19 and 15 years old, and as you may remember, they wouldn't grow past this age for a very long time.

They were sitting at a park bench, eating chili from two styrofoam bowls.

"I know this probably isn't the best in the world," laughed young Meadow, "but I followed Mom's recipe as best I could."

"You want my honest opinion?" Young Cole started. "I think this is the best thing you've ever made."

"Really?" Her eyes sparkled.

"Seriously!"

The castle wasn't far from their view. Young Meadow looked out at it, then down to her hands.

"Hey." Young Cole took her wrist. "Can I see?"

"I think they've gotten worse."

"...Yeah. Mine too. Not as fast as Mom's did, but slow and steady wins the race, I guess."

"We're not going to die, are we?"

"Nah. I won't let that happen." And he knew in his heart that it was a lie, but what would he tell a fifteen-year-old who'd already been hurt enough? "Come on. Let's go get some drinks and head back. What do you want?"

"Just water."

"Yeah, me too."

In the square, there was a place to buy drinks like tea and hot chocolate, and the water was only fifty cents apiece. An older man who was a Light Element ran the stall, and he saw different customers every day.

Two he didn't see often were the siblings who looked nothing alike. The shorter one with darker hair and very pale skin, and the taller one with ginger hair, ginger with suspiciously black roots. Seeing these two, the only correlation you'd ever notice was that they were always together, never with a parent.

"What can I get you?" The man spoke in a gruff voice, not making eye contact.

"Two waters, please." Young Cole didn't realize it until he spoke with strangers, but his voice was becoming incredibly hoarse.

"Coming right up." These two drinks didn't take long to put together. In fact, they didn't need any putting together at all. The man just set two bottles of water on the counter. "That's a dollar."

As he reached into his pocket, young Cole took out a crumpled dollar bill and slid it across to the man. Taking the waters, he quickly started to retreat with young Meadow. "Thank you."

The man waited until they were gone. Then, he reached for a phone on the wall. "...Hey. Yeah, it's me. Listen, you told me only to call if there was an emergency, and I think there is."

He looked to where young Cole and Meadow had just left, watching them slowly disappear from the horizon.

"...There's these two kids who just showed up at my stall. I think they're both Dark Elements, and... I think they're cursed. Yeah, sure, I can describe 'em for you..."

-

"And a citizen—well, actually multiple—they've brought up complaints."

The inside of the palace glittered, adorned with gold and red carpet. King Amaranth wasted no time making the castle reflect how he wanted it to.

He was a young king, maybe 21 or 22, with light blonde hair and piercing amber eyes. His fists clenched as he stood from the red carpeted throne.

"What complaints?" He growled. "What complaints could anyone possibly have?"

The guard spoke up again. "Two children, roaming the streets. They appear to be cursed."

"Did you learn their names?"

"Just their family name, sir." Their voice sounded nervous. "They're Keynotes. A family of mixed Elements, although they both appear to be Dark."

"Their mother died of a curse not too long ago." King Amaranth recalled five years before, twirling the tassels of a red curtain. "It made the news. She was a wonderful woman. Light."

"I'm sorry, sir, I don't recall."

"Her husband was an alchemist." Amaranth continued, his voice echoing through the halls, projecting incidentally. "After his wife's death, he stayed secluded in his home. And it isn't publicly known, but the smaller child is a Celestial."

"A what?" The guard exhaled. "There hasn't been a Celestial in many years, and sources say she looks almost ill. There's no possible way—"

Amaranth needed only raise his hand, and a spike of yellow energy burst through the ground, stabbing directly through the guard's armor, and killing them instantly.

"Do you see what happens when you doubt me?" He turned to the rest of the guards. "That child is a danger. That whole family is a danger."

The rest of the guards dared not speak. They quivered with fear, only wanting to leave at this point.

"My advisors," Amaranth said as he turned to the window, "we need to decide a course of action." He smiled madly. "Don't you think this kingdom has been plagued by the Dark Elements for far too long? They're obviously a threat."

"...Yes, sir." Multiple people spoke up.

"So kill those children, and kill their father. Kill anyone and everyone known to be associated with them."

"Yes, sir!" The group erupted more enthusiastically.

"As for the rest of them, send them far away!" Amaranth turned, erupting with a scream. "I never want to see another Dark Element in this kingdom again! They're all dangerous! Let it be known today, that this is the beginning of an exile! A new era, where Light comes out victorious!"

-

"...I'm really sorry."

Mage turned to Amaranth. "What?"

"I'm sorry, Mage." Amaranth huffed. "I don't even believe myself when I say this, but I should have never done that. I was scared, but that's not a good excuse."

"You're really sorry?"

"Yes, I am sorry!" Amaranth sighed impatiently. "Sincerely, I really am! I know you probably don't want to forgive me for killing you or your brother, but you're leaving soon, and I couldn't exist with myself without apologizing. Even though when you come back, you're going to go back to hating me all over again."

Mage stepped closer. "...You know why I didn't snap your soul out of existence the second I crossed over?"

"Why?"

She smiled. "Because I knew that you were going to say that."

"B-but—" Amaranth spluttered. "I sucked! I currently suck!"

"Yeah, well, that hasn't changed." Mage shrugged. "You have, though. Just a little bit. I only hope you'll be nicer to the new Mage when she crosses over here in a few hours."

Amaranth nodded. "I will."

"Thank you, Amaranth," Mage grinned again. "This is your first step. But I do have to remind you that your actions—"

"Yeah, my actions were absolutely inexcusable. I get it."

"Good."

Paladin cupped his hands around his mouth. "And the crowd goes wild! Wooooo! Character development has done it again!! Woooooooo!"

To Be Continued in Chapter 44