Chapter Twenty-Six: A Family Reunion

Walking through the portal, you almost felt new, like walking through the gates of heaven. Or hell.

And then, something pulled you apart, piece by piece, but you still felt connected.

You didn't get the chance to think, or even breathe. Flashes of pink and yellow, bright blues and greens, and the faint smell of burning. The sounds of faraway destruction and screaming, but otherwise, discordant music, all playing at once.

When you opened your eyes, if you could, you had to shut them again because of the whooshing air. But all you saw were colors. Shapes and colors, clashing in great bounds of light.

It felt like you were dying. But not in an entirely bad way. At least three of the four were fearing this is where you went once you died. But only one of the four could possibly know the answer to that.

Robin thought they knew the answer to everything. And they nearly did. They were a very smart person, mostly from overhearing things. People didn't care to hide their secrets around birds. They even remember sitting on the windowsill of a classroom, taking in everything the teacher was saying. Wishing they didn't have to hide. Wishing they could be a part of the class.

That same unknown is what they felt now, unable to open their eyes. Everything was too bright, too pressing.

Ethan, however, slowly brought his hands up and over his eyes, shielding them from pressure as he peeked through his fingers.

He was surrounded by his friends, closing their eyes in flashing lights, pinks and yellows and blues, and pushing wind.

Meadow was nowhere to be found. Probably above them all.

And when he turned his head to look, he felt a great thud on his back, knocking his breath away.

A yellow portal swirled open above the street, dumping the four onto the ground.

Meadow almost seemed to gasp for air, watching as her friends piled through. "Is everyone okay?"

Sage exhaled quickly as they landed directly on the ground. "I'M FINE WE'RE FINE—"

"oh GOD I FEEL SICK." Ethan had his eyes squinted shut, suppressing vomit. The ground was spinning under him.

"Go to a fucking bush, then." Robin, now a bird, had their wings spread above everyone for a safe landing.

"Shut up, birdbrain!" Ethan flapped his hand up.

"Where are we?" Sage still wasn't completely oriented, but was trying to stand and look around.

"10,000 years in the past. Specifically, the root of the problem. Where it all started." Meadow dusted her jeans off.

"Time travel seems to have a mind of its own." Robin transformed back into the blue-haired teenager. "Where's the root? I wanna rip it up."

"Me too, chill out." Meadow brought a hand up. "We just need to find it, okay?"

"How do we do that?" Robin shrugged.

Her gaze shifted, squinting at a house across the street. It almost seemed familiar. "This way."

"Uh, okay." She started to walk alongside Meadow. "Come on!"

"I feel so fucking sick." Ethan gagged, still on the ground.

"Come on, let's go!" Robin pulled him up and followed after Meadow and Sage.

-

Eight feet stood on the concrete stairs leading up to the mahogany door. The paint seemed to be peeling, but nevertheless, the house looked pretty and well cared for. And there was a sense of familiarity.