Chapter Eight: 193

This chapter is a flashback to before Sage and Ethan met, from the perspective of Cole Daley and Experiment 193. The storyline will continue as normal in Chapter Nine.

-

The basement to the Dark Elements' hideout was nothing more than a damp cave where your breathing fogged away from your face. Cole Daley wrapped his jacket tighter around his arms.
The dungeon, if you could even call it that, stretched on forever into an endless darkness at the end. He held a torch to light his way.
But it became colder as he ventured down. Cole knew it wasn't natural. The 10,000-year timer was up, and he was both ecstatic and worried to see...
Water. On the floor. Flowing away from the massive freezer. Pitch black.

Cole touched it, the blackness already on his fingertips growing slightly. He snapped away, wincing at the cold. Ice. Melted ice. "Peter!"

He dropped the torch in front of the empty freezer.

And as Cole ran back up the stairs, he was shouting. "Peter! She's gone! The ice is—"

"Oh, Cole." A man with dark black hair turned to see him. "Glad to see you. I was hoping you'd be glad to see our friend, too."

"...Where?" He breathed heavily, clenching his fists.

But Experiment 193 was hiding behind him, barely peeking out.
A child.

"Oh, my God." Cole put a hand to his chest.

As soon as it met his eyes, Experiment 193 ran out from behind Peter and wrapped its arms tightly around Cole.

"Are you alright? A-are..." His hand touched its hair, feeling its embrace again after so long. Cole eventually trailed off.

But it didn't speak. It just held him tighter.

Peter spoke up again. "Will you tell it what to do, so we can get this done fast?"

Cole, still holding 193, huffed at him. "You could feel some sympathy, Peter."

"I have asked you repeatedly to call me Dad," Peter snorted, turning around. "Do what I ask."

-

Cole and Experiment 193 sat on a bed in one of the many rooms of the hollowed cave, talking gently to each other.

"I'm sorry you have to do this so soon." Cole sighed. "And right after we just reunited."

"It's... alright." 193's voice was tired.

"Um," Cole started, pulling out a picture. "This is Sage Stonewing. She's going to be your target."

"My target?"

"Mhm. She's got brown hair, green eyes..."

"How will I do this? How will I lead them all there?"

"You'll just keep an eye on them. Learn their weaknesses. I'm going to fight them."

193 sucked in. "Cole, you can't. That's too dangerous."

"Well, what do you propose?"

"..." 193 stayed silent.

"No, actually. I have a better idea. One that guarantees our safety."

And they talked for hours. Experiment 193 nodded and listened, enjoying this plan better than the last.

"And what if she hurts me?" It finally asked.

"...Meadow?"

"Mhm."

Cole put a hand on 193's shoulder, smiling assuredly. "She won't. I promise. She doesn't have the power in the world to hurt you. I'd never let her."

And for the first time in 10,000 years, Experiment 193 smiled.

To Be Continued In Chapter Nine