Chapter Twenty-Three: Worms

The moonlight poured into the large and vast windows of the castle. Cole had been here many a time, but Quincy'd only ever heard of it.

The palace was just as pristine as before, since the teenagers who lived there kept it clean, but they also kept it themed. The theme was any average teenager you've ever met in your life. There was beanbag chairs in every corner, posters on the walls, a mini-fridge, fairy lights looped around the stairs' banister, and a coat rack with stickers on it right by the castle door.

Cole walked into the palace doors, tossing his coat in the corner.

Quincy followed, shuffling in, and pretending to not have worms in his pocket.

"Meadowwww?" Cole called, his voice echoing throughout the halls. "I'm here!"

And, seemingly out of nowhere, a sixteen year old girl appeared in front of him. She had dark, medium length hair, brown eyes, a heavy purple jacket that once belonged to her friend, a blue t-shirt, ripped jeans, and checkered socks. "Cole!" She jumped into an embrace with her brother.

"Hey, Macaroni!" Cole returned the hug, as she jumped back down.

Meadow tsked, looking behind Cole and folding her arms. "I thought I told you, we have coat racks."

"I was gonna pick it up—"

"Nope, fuck you, you just gotta learn." She lifted a finger, and the coat hit the back of Cole's head.

He laughed. "Ay, watch the language, there's a kid here!"

"Huh--" She tilted her head, looking to Quincy. "Oh, hi!"

Quincy was baffled by just looking at Meadow, but still, they kept a confident face. "Nice to meet you!"

Meadow nodded. "I like them."

"He calls me Coleslaw." Cole pointed out.

"Damn, why didn't I think of that?" Meadow bent down to meet Quincy. "What's your name, smart and funny child?"

"I'm Quincy, the greatest worm trainer in all of the Element Kingdom!"

"Quincy! That's adorable. I like you."

"Cole, my man!" Another kid came downstairs with the poofiest blue hair you could ever imagine, a red and white striped shirt and sweatpants. Their blue slippers flopped on their feet.

"Robin!" Cole ruffled Robin's hair, as Robin poked him in the forehead.

Meadow rolled her eyes, smiling as she nudged Robin. "I guess I'm just not here, then."

"We live in the same palace, dork!" Robin poked her, laughing in response. Then they turned to Quincy. "Who's that?"

Cole ruffled Quincy's hair. "That's Quincy. The excellent nicknamer who's now my best friend."

"Hi!" Quincy smiled brightly, trying to make a good impression.

Robin glanced up the stairs, and then back. "Sage and Ethan should be coming down any second. By excellent nicknamer, you mean—?"

"I'm Coleslaw."

"Couldn't have said it better myself."

Pattering footsteps echoed as Sage, followed by Ethan, came downstairs. Sage's hair was slightly longer, but still virtually the same. She wore blue plaid pajamas. Ethan's hair, however, was ten times fluffier than a year ago, and he got a nose piercing. He wore a pink shirt and black sweatpants.