SIXTEEN

Today was the highly anticipated state championship game that everyone had been looking forward to since the start of the season

Today was the highly anticipated state championship game that everyone had been looking forward to since the start of the season. Even though the game was technically a home game for South Crenshaw, fans from Beverly had traveled far to show their support for the team.

Amidst the sea of green and gold, enthusiastic Beverly supporters cheered loudly as the starting players for both offense and defense were introduced to the crowded bleachers.

As Charger fans booed every player being announced, their tune swiftly changed upon hearing Spencer's name.

"Let's go, Spencer!" Sevyn yelled out for it only to be drowned out by everyone cheering him on.

Sevyn's gaze drifted a few rows down until it landed on Layla, who was sitting alongside Miss Grace, Dillion, and Coop with a smile on her face. After the affair had been exposed, the atmosphere had become awkward between the two families.

Olivia noticed the small smile on Sevyn's lips and said, "I know you miss them." She leaned towards her cousin and linked their arms, resting her head on Sevyn's shoulder.  

Sevyn missed just over Miss. Grace's house just to talk to her or eat lunch with her, she talked to Dillion while he would stop by the center other than that she didn't see them often.

As they stood overlooking the field, they eagerly waited for the game to start. Soon enough, both teams made their way onto the field. The sound of the whistle signaled the beginning of the game as the kicker for South Crenshaw's team sent the ball flying toward Beverly's offense.

"And here's the kickoff. Pass is open Touchdown, Eagles!"

"Jackson, with a brilliant cutback! Touchdown, Chargers! And South Crenshaw continues to hang in there, now trailing by one touchdown. Chris Jackson with the quarterback keep. He's got the room."

As the wideout gained fifteen yards before being tackled, Beverly's offense took the field. Sevyn felt proud of her team, as they were showing everyone that they deserved to be there just as much as Crenshaw.

"Yeah, Ash!" Olivia then yelled as Asher scored the first touchdown.

"Let's go, Asher!" Sevyn yelled while clapping as she watched her friends on the field.

"So what's up with you and Asher?" Sevyn questioned, Olivia knew sooner or later Sevyn would question her about the time she and Asher were spending together.

"Absolutely nothing," Olivia said before looking back onto the field making Sevyn shove her with a little smirk.

"All the way down to the 28-yard line. First down, Chargers!" The announcer yelled as everyone cheered. They watched Chris and Spencer go back and forth before Jordan pulled him back.

As the score remained at 28-21 and Crenshaw advanced to the 28-yard line, Sevyn and Olivia watched the team's formation. Chris altered the play at the line of scrimmage and swiftly took possession of the ball after the snap.