VII

*:・゚✧*:・゚Tobio *:・゚✧*:・゚

Sana surprised him a few days later by approaching him in his classroom at lunchtime. He was sitting at his desk, squinting angrily at his homework that was due after lunch, struggling over the double-sided biology sheet when Sana gingerly placed a carton of milk at the corner of his table. Kageyama snapped his head up in surprise, not having noticed her walking up to him. His cheeks flushed a light shade of pink as he met her gaze, thanking her quietly.

Sana peered over his shoulder, catching a glimpse of the question he was stuck on. "The answer is 'synapse'."

"Huh?" He gawked up at her.

"The question you're stuck on, the connection between two nerve cells is called a synapse." Sana pointed to the sheet.

Kageyama looked at his work and then looked back at her. "Oh right... thanks." He stuttered, writing down the answer and hoping that he managed to spell it right so he didn't embarrass himself even more.

Sana pulled up a chair and sat beside him, he watched her—happy that she was planning on staying even when he'd spoken all of four words to her today.

"Do you want any help?" She offered with a gentle smile, gazing at him with green cat-like eyes.

"Yes please." He nodded, avoiding her stare and pushing the sheet closer to her so they could both see it.

His heart thundered in his chest as he stole glances at her whilst she explained and pointed to different questions on the sheet. She was close enough that he could smell the cherry and vanilla perfume that clung to her school uniform; close enough that he could see the tiny brown mole underneath her eyebrow.

"You stopped writing... was I speaking too fast?" Sana asked, flushing red as she noticed how close their faces were.

"Are you happy that I'm your soulmate?" He blurted, regretting the words as soon as they left his mouth. He hadn't even planned to say them—didn't even recall thinking that sentence.

Sana blinked, her eyes widening. "Of course I am, a lot of people don't even get to meet their soulmates, let alone this early on in their lives." She stuttered, face turning redder by the second, though Kageyama couldn't say he looked any different.

"I'm happy too," he murmured, forcing himself to hold the eye contact.

*:・゚✧*:・゚sana *:・゚✧*:・゚

"Oh my god, stop staring at each other with heart eyes and just kiss already!" Sato called from the door to the classroom, laughing when Kageyama and Sana jumped away—their chairs squealing awkwardly against the hardwood floor. "You said you were only gonna be five minutes Sana, it's been fifteen." He tapped his watchless wrist dramatically.

"I decided to stay a bit longer, do you have a problem with that?" Sana scowled jokingly, mad that he'd unknowingly ruined a moment between her and her soulmate.

Sato clicked his tongue yet his cheeky smile remained. "Find me before class." He told her before continuing in French. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do." he departed with a wink, leaving the soulmates in the empty classroom in silence.

"Sorry about him, he's a bit eccentric sometimes." Sana apologised bashfully but Kageyama just shook his head.

"Don't worry, he's nothing compared to a few of the guys on the volleyball team." His smile was barely noticeable but his eyes shone warmly as he looked at her.

"How long have you played?" She asked curiously, drumming her fingers softly on his desk.

"I used to just throw around the ball in my backyard and then I joined a team in elementary. I've played ever since then," he told her vaguely.

Sana smiled up at him, resting her elbow on the table and laying her head upon her closed fist. "You must be good then after playing so long." She complimented.

He smirked then, a passionate fire burning in his dark blue eyes. "I am good," he replied confidently.

"Then you won't mind me watching you practice, will you?" She smiled, the wall around her personality breaking as she became more comfortable around him.

*:・゚✧*:・゚Tobio *:・゚✧*:・゚

Tobio thought about his previous volleyball practices, the screaming second years, the way they acted around girls, Hinata's screw-ups and the regular arguments between the first years. He was reluctant but he couldn't find it in him to deny her— and he found himself wanting to impress her.

"Okay, I'll ask the coach and you and Sato can sit with the manager." he agreed, his heart skipping a beat when she smiled brightly, her eyes crinkling beautifully.

He was in trouble. Deep trouble. and Sana was the reason for it.