5: The Trial that Came Too Soon { I }

TW: Strong language, mention of gore, mention of Kiyo's sister
[Rantaro's POV]
I repeated all the evidence in my head while I walked towards a tall, white building - giving small explanations on why each point is important and who it suggested the culprit to be. Which, unfortunately, most of the evidence went against Korekiyo.

Why would he do it though?
What had driven him towards doing such a horrid thing?
Could I have pushed him over his limits?
Did I act horribly towards him?
Was it... my fault?
...
No. It couldn't be my fault. I haven't done anything wrong.

I approached the large, red double doors and grabbed the circular, black handle, pulling it open and revealing around 13 other people.

13?
So, I'm not the last person here?

'Hey guys,' I greeted everyone as I walked in.

I got a few 'hellos' as I continued walking towards Maki, Shuichi and Kaede.

'Heya Rantaro!' Kaede said, waving her hand slowly.

'You can just call me Taro, it's easier,' I replied.

'I see, alright!' Kaede beamed.

'Enough small talk, we need to discuss the case,' Maki said coldly,'one of us is missing.'

We all looked around. I knew someone was missing.

'Our prime suspect,' Maki continued,'this makes him further suspicious.'

Just as she said that, Korekiyo slowly and as quietly as possible walked through and stood in a spot furthest away from everyone else. Shuichi, Kaede and I tried not to stare but Maki glared at him for about 5 seconds. I glanced at him really quickly and he looked quite frightened and his hat was lower than normal.

'It has to be him, right...?' Shuichi questioned.

The other three of us nodded, almost in sync.

'I mean, it's obvious, who else could it be?' Kaede sort of laughed.

'I feel like it's a bit too obvious, though...' Shuichi replied as his voice drifted off and he was seemingly lost in thought.

'It could be,' I agreed,'the evidence only points to him, almost like he was framed.'

I hoped so so much that was all it was. As creepy as he may present himself as, I don't think he would have the guts to... kill someone, right? He's a chill dude, he's not that unsettling. I honestly enjoy talking to him. But there is still the chance he is the perpetrator. And I oh-so-hope he isn't.

'That's what I-I'm thinking could've h-happened...' Shuichi said soundlessly, still lost in his mind,'Rantaro, you m-mentioned you saw the s-sickle in his room when Tenko barged in?'

'Yep, that's the story,' I answered.

'I see...' Shuichi's voice trailed off once more.

After that, we stood in silence. Everyone else seemed to be having their own conversations.

'What the FUCK are we supposed to do?!' Miu yelled with her hands on her hips.

'Calm down! I'm sure we'll find out soon-' Keebo replied loudly, placing a hand on Miu's shoulder.

'Fuck you!' Miu retorted, grabbing Keebo's hand and basically throwing it, making him fall a bit backwards,'what about this ridiculous-looking monokuma statue?'

Miu approached the statue, but then it started moving.

'Heeiiiiieeee! Why's it moving??!' Miu squealed and ran off the platform as it started collapsing, or rather sliding into two pieces, and swallowed the statue so it descended into the ground. From the opposite side of where we were standing, a walkway was created and it continued getting longer until it reached the side we were on.

'Me first!' Kokichi squealed, running onto the newly-created platform.

When he was halfway-through, he turned back and put his hands behind his head.

'Let's go, Shumai!' He shouted.

'W-why me?' Shuichi stammered in a confused tone.

'Well, because you're my prince, of course!' Kokichi stated.

Shuichi was blushing and leaned his hat over his face so the blush was no longer visible. He stepped onto the platform. Kokichi then turned back around, hands still placed behind his head, and continued walking forward, Shuichi following behind him.

'We should probably go too,' I said and Kaede nodded in agreement.

[Korekiyo's POV]
Everyone walked over the bridge onto the other side, but when it came to me going across at the end, I was much more slower than everyone else. I was not prepared for this.

'Korekiyo, are you okay?' Rantaro questioned, noticing I looked down.

'I'm fine,' I assured him, I doubt he was all that convinced though.

When I finally managed getting over, something made a Ding! sound and behind everyone a door slid open, revealing an elevator.

'Let's go everybody!' Kaede said in her usual happy, spirit-lifting demeanour.

Kaede went in first, beckoning everyone else to follow, of which everyone did. I tried to distance myself from everyone, but of course Rantaro isn't the type to just leave his friends looking upset, so he approached me and stood beside me.

'You sure you're fine?' Rantaro asked again.

I looked at him, hoping he wouldn't see the worry nor stress in my eyes.

'I-I'm honestly okay,' I replied once more, but he was seemingly unsatisfied with this answer.

'Kiyo, I can tell something's wrong, you can tell me,' He continued,'is it about the murder? I'm not one to judge, but, you seem like the type who can handle gore.'

I looked away from him and stared at the floor, but I had a feeling he kept his eyes on me. I could just feel his stare, this made me more anxious and I could feel sweat forming.

'N-no, really, it's n-not that,' I said,'your assumptions are c-correct, I am one w-whom is able to handle the sight of intense s-scenery such as a murder.'

'Then what's up?' Rantaro impatiently asked, putting his hand on my shoulder.

'S-something happened, but I a-assure you I am alright now,' I answered.

'The stutter in your voice says otherwise,' Rantaro just grew more and more concerned from my responses and I was severely failing at convincing him I'm truly fine.

I'm not fine, though. The thoughts of her still haunt me, and I can't get the image of her out of my head.

I put my opposite hand on his and said,'I'll have to t-tell you some other time. It would not be i-ideal to tell you here.'

Just then, the elevator came to a stop. I looked back at him and he nodded, taking his hand off my shoulder as I did so as well.

A/N: This is way shorter than my last chapter but it's half 2 am and I need to post a chapter before the week is over (it's Friday rn). In this they.... H-h-h-h*eld h*nds before marriage!!!!!! How dare they!!!!!! (Jk I made them do that) Anyway goodnight/day and remember: stay safe and ship Amaguji 4 life!!!
Words: 1158