chapter 20

The gloomy mood was still present in Octavia when she woke up. But it disappeared quickly when she received a letter from Max. It took him twenty-three days. She didn't care as she opened the letter, rushing with impatience. He was apologizing for his lateness, admitting he had managed to find a job at the Ministry, and announcing he was visiting her during the afternoon, obviously coming by the fireplace in her room.

Octavia jumped from her bed to go have a shower and prepare herself up and do a pretty makeup like Max liked it. She wanted to look good for him, despite her puffy red eyes and the bags under them. It was nothing her magic couldn't hide. She could be pretty for him, she had to, he didn't need to know she had been crying about him. How pathetic.

She waited and waited, almost not moving from her bed, in her pretty summer dress. That pink dress, a bit revealing for her liking, but Max expressed many times how much he liked it. However it was only in the late afternoon that he arrived. After he excused himself, she felt stupid for waiting like that when it was obvious he wouldn't be there early.

"That job, it's taking all my time, it's crazy," he said with a smile.

"It's okay," she said, smiling in return.

"Wow, you're looking hot! You made yourself pretty for me?"

"Maybe," answered the girl with a little shrug but her smile wouldn't waver.

"Well, are you going to kiss me or not? I thought you'd be happy to see me!"

"I am, what do you think..." she told him while getting closer.

He kissed her hard with want. His kisses hadn't changed. They still showed a desire he had been holding maybe since they hadn't met in so long. Maybe he really had been waiting to meet her after all. Maybe he wanted only her. She wished the pestering thoughts would go but at the same time it prevented her from focusing on him. On his heavy body on hers, on the strong hold of his hands that have rarely been gentle and she thought she was used to it. She could focus on his lips everywhere on her even if she didn't like the feeling of it. In the end, she just wanted to focus on anything that wouldn't remind her of how uncomfortable she felt in his arms because she didn't want to cry in front of him. That was not how he liked her and that was not how she wanted to be. She couldn't show him that side of her. What if he left her because she was a weak girl who didn't like her boyfriend making love to her?

"Octavia?"

Everything stopped and she opened her eyes at the same time as she straightened up since Max's body wasn't stuck to her anymore.

She watched as Regulus stood in the doorway of her room and didn't even realize her tears started rolling on her cheeks. She was too surprised to even react, she didn't even bother covering herself or looking at Max.

"What is he doing here?"

"Don't look at me like that," she uttered as she brought her hands to her face, sobbing uncontrollably. She wasn't sure if Regulus' eyes were showing either pity or compassion but she hated both.

"Why are you here? Octavia could you bother telling me what this scum is doing in your room?" shout the boy, feeling anger take over him.

Nobody answered. The red-haired boy looked in confusion between the two but didn't even bother asking about Octavia's distress.

"Is something going on?" he tried again.

"I'm sorry Max, I'm so sorry..." muttered Octavia.

"Sorry for what?"

"Regulus and I are engaged."

The room turned silent the moment she let out those words she had been hiding from him for years. Her sobs had quieted down too but her whole body was trembling from fear and nervousness, she was holding her knees close to her chest and looking sideways.