Chapter 21

Jealousy became more and more evident on Lionel's face as he stared in shock and anger towards Eden's back. He gritted his teeth in anger and somewhere within him, his heart squeezed in a very painful manner, the sight before him was something he couldn't bear to see and he didn't know why. Could it be he had started to see her differently like he once did.

He didn't know how to explain how he felt but knew he couldn't stand to watch them for another second. He looked away immediately and his eyes were red. He was evidently heaving out with jealousy and he wasn't scared to showcase it. On the other hand, Souqeline felt awkward for the whole situation and wandered what had gotten into Eden that she had to display that kind of affection out on the streets.

Eden immediately removed her lips from Julian and she looked at Julian feeling completely embarrassed by what she just did. Julian was self shocked but his heart also warmed up inside. It felt good to taste her cherry lips and just as he had imagined, they tasted wonderful against his own lips. He thought this kiss was something unreachable to him but Eden proved him wrong tonight.

Anne was also stunned by Eden's sudden act and turned her back to have her heart over the roof seeing her boss along with Lionel behind and looking awkward. Souqeline shared awkward glances towards Eden and then at Julian. Anne then knew that Eden must have done that because of Lionel. Lionel still looked away and he wanted so badly this pain to go away from his chest but it didn't go away one bit and instead kept on hurting him inside. He hadn't felt this weak and vulnerable since his argument with his father.

"Ahem," Souqeline cleared her throat loudly and Eden's already red cheeks became even redder with more embarrassment. She shut her eyes and cursed lowly. Julian also felt weird but he pulled a small smile reminiscing the kiss they shared a few minutes ago.

"Wow. Ms. Quinn. I didn't know you loved to display your affairs out in public like this." Souqeline said and although her voice was calm, she wasn't having a happy expression on her face. Her act was clearly not welcomed by her especially in front of her workplace and her most refined investor.

"Am so so sorry miss Souqeline, I didn't mean any harm or have any intentions to embarrass you. Please forgive me." Eden wished she could hit her head with a stick, now she just hoped Souqeline wasn't upset to the extent of firing her before she even began her work officially as her staff.

"We're very sorry ma'am." Julian walked and stood by Eden's side flashing his dashing smile. His smile was very infectious and Souqeline smiled as well. She nodded accepting their apology. She turned to meet Lionel who was staring up into the sky, it was ridiculous but he rather stared up at the clouds than having to see her face otherwise he knew he wouldn't be able to control himself from grabbing her and kissing her sensual cherry lips.

"Mr Bluebird. Am so sorry for the little scene." Souqeline apologized and Lionel only nodded before he heard Monique's voice coming from the entrance. Lionel turned to her and noticed she didn't seem well and was looking dazed. She held her temple with one of her hands and the other on the door frame.

"My gosh Mrs Bluebird," Lionel rushed to her and held her gently while Eden turned around after hearing Souqeline's gasps. She saw Monique but Monique didn't see her as her eyes were blinking abruptly trying to stay awake. Out of habit, she rushed to them and held Monique by her left side. Lionel then stared at her in surprise. She licked her lips as soon as she felt his gaze on her.

"She needs a doctor urgently especially with her illness." Eden broke the awkward silence as they both placed a half conscious Monique into the backseat of the car. Lionel stared at her in confusion by narrowing his brows. "How do you know she's sick and has cancer?" He asked. Eden immediately recalled how she stumbled on her documents over at the hospital, she was at stage three.

"Not now. She needs a doctor urgently." Eden avoided the question and walked away and headed towards Julian's direction. Lionel greeted Souqeline before getting into the car and set the engine into motion and drove off.

"You start officially tomorrow Ms. Quinn. I've scheduled three hair stylist appointments for you tomorrow. So be on time." Souqeline said to Eden with a smile and went inside to attend to the remaining guests inside the building.

"What happened to that jerk, Lionel's wife? She seemed to be down." Anne got into thought. Eden felt very bad for what Monique was going through. Any woman won't have felt bad, after all she was the same woman who her husband left her for. But after seeing Monique's condition in her file, she couldn't help feeling sorry for her especially because of her pregnancy. Her mind also went to Lionel and what he might be going through but then again, she recalled him cheating on her with Monique and the anger replaced her sympathy for Lionel.

"Am sure it's nothing serious. By the way. Congratulations on getting the job Eden." Julian smiled at Eden who forced out a smile. "Do you want to talk about....."

"I rather not Anne. Not tonight. Am really sorry Julian. That was unintentional. It just.....happened." Eden turned to Julian with her face low. Julian felt a pang in his chest but covered it with his wide smile. Deep down he knew she only did out of spite and just to annoy Lionel. "Shall we celebrate my lady's success over at a fancy restaurant?" Julian immediately changed the topic. "Oh yeah, that sounds like fun and besides the night's still young." Anne quickly agreed.

"No guys. But thanks anyways. Right now, I want to go back home to Mia. I have a busy day ahead for tomorrow so I'll pass." Eden smiled and Anne rolled her eyes while Julian nodded in understanding. He called a cab and Eden got in before the cab drove off. Julian inhaled sharply watching as the cab disappeared into the next street.

"Cheer up Julian. Am sure Eden will realize sooner." Anne patted his shoulder and Julian let out a chuckle. It hurt him that Eden used him just to make Lionel upset. A ridiculous act that were meant for teenagers that were in love. "You know I once thought so but after tonight, I don't know....it probably would be best if we stuck as only friends." Julian replied while keeping his expression stoic. Anne felt bad for him and wished Eden would just move on but with Lionel back, she knew it was far from that.

On her way home, Eden's mind couldn't stop diverting back to Monique's condition. True, she was her ex husband's wife now and also the reason for her marriage and home breaking apart but she then recalled their meeting on two occasions and how nice and a good mannered woman she was to her. She only hoped things would get better for her and her unborn baby.

Lionel drove towards the hospital and met with the doctor that was in charge of Monique's case. Monique was taken into the room for checkup while Lionel waited outside. He went towards the coffee maker and placed a plastic cup to get some hot coffee. The sight of Eden claiming that blonde guy's lips was infuriating and irritating to him. He closed his eyes not wanting that bad memory to flash before his eyes. But then the realization dawned on him. He flashed a smile knowing her all too well. He now knew she must have done that little scene just to annoy him. He felt this way that she still cared about him which made him grin.

He sipped the hot coffee when the doctor stepped out. Lionel who sat down got up immediately his eyes landed on the doctor.

"How's she doing? And my baby?" Lionel asked feeling worried mostly for the child in Monique's womb. The doctor sighed holding a stoic face. He clearly wasn't bringing good news. "The cancer is spreading all around her body and can put the baby at risk. I would suggest you listen to me Mr Bluebird. The baby hasn't developed properly yet a....." Lionel's hard glare towards him made the doctor to pause in his statement.

"You're not aborting my child. Do you hear me? My baby will be born and that's final!" Lionel raised his voice a little higher and the doctor sighed before nodding. Monique was more than five months old in her pregnancy but not yet up to six months. Her illness was taken a toll on her and she refused to undergo chemotherapy for any reason. She refused to look like a helpless dying woman with a bald head to show her baby when born.

"I've given her the medications, she'll be fine when she wakes up. And please make sure she takes her medicines on time Mr Bluebird." Lionel nodded and the doctor walked away. Lionel rubbed his exhausted face, closed his eyes and sat down on a bench nearby. "I need you now with me in this difficult time, mom."

If you guys think Monique is going away, then think again people, because Monique is here to stay. We'll also get to know the reason for Lionel and his father's argument very soon.