Chapter 54 - Sky high

◌ ◌ ◌

◌ ◌ ◌

The good and the bad
_______________________

◌ ◌ ◌

Rosalie POV

The 4th of July, 1957

Prided in azure blue to just above my knees, what made the leaves move tried its best to catch me. But my hugging dress had no flow caught up in the wind as I carried a tray of refreshments at noon.

Lines of pure light danced at the bottom of the pool and got picked up by me, almost causing the illusion of being part of the appealing water. Accompanying the tray with a basket at my elbow, filled to the brim with fruits and newly baked soft dinner rolls still steaming—Graceland got ready for our 4th of July lunch.

And I got ready to ignore whatever headlines the newspapers would shout out—having gotten truly amazing shots of yesterday's meltdown. Each inch of my body found the unnatural desire not to know connected to how badly I wanted to distance myself from it.

The best thinkable scenarios were pictures in a fan's album, and throwing my mind into that thought, I let it slide for Graceland's sunny celebration. And pulled back in a white ribbon, my curls softly stayed behind my shoulders as I bent over to arrange the outdoor table by the poolside.

Aside from the sound of decked-out plates was the slow, slow, close-to-snoring Billy. Well, except for his next move of dramatically sighing the moment I spoke to him.

«Billy, would you mind go help out your mom, Grandma and Aunt Gladys in the kitchen?» Billy had made it his mission to look more relaxed than a sloth on break, taking a break from sleeping—by sleeping. The smile I sent him couldn't be mellowed out even if I tried to. I watched him lean back in one chair, his legs up in the other with his elbows nearly 45 degrees behind him. His sunglasses were in place so far from a straight angle as they could and still managed to give his eyes any form of shade.

«Ahrg, fine.» He just about bothered saying, prolonging the word 'fine' to the extent of reaching the end of the world. Humming, I watched him pull himself together, open his eyes and go as I shook my head. Funny boy that Billy—he cracked me up on the daily.

The table got in shape, bit by bit, and in the middle of it, a few napkins caught by the wind flew away to float the azure blue water. Quick on my feet, I found the pool skimmer net up against the tall white windshield made up of wooden crosses.

Drops hit my ankles as I splashed the water with the skimmer, stretching my body and arm as long as I could without falling in. Extending my arm by almost two meters, I trapped the napkins one by one until the mini-crisis got resolved—having spent way more time on it than I wanted.

My lungs inhaled on themselves, pushing whatever I had within them out as I stood tall to see flickers of a nice-dressed young lad. Billy came into view, wearing a look on his face far from any of his other usual expressions.