Girl of Mine - The Last Author's Note

Girl of Mine* The last author's name *_____________________________

Girl of Mine
* The last author's name *
_____________________________

The realization of seeing what lies behind the book's title is incredibly tragic but beautifully so. The only reason for its name is after Elvis' dying wish of being with Sal. And he didn't get her, which makes the title one-sided and false—a lie you'd want to believe—containing only the reminiscence of the truth, which is Elvis' heart.

This entire book tries to tell us that Sal will get hurt by Elvis. But really, it was all about a boy and his broken heart by the end of it. None of the things we were afraid Elvis would do to Sal happened. It was all about his heart's journey, how she broke it, and was left with none other than himself.

But did Sal have to go? Or could she find her trust in him after everything? People say not to judge a book by its cover, but somehow, Elvis' cover has changed throughout the past year. Is he still really the boy that broke June's heart anymore? Could he ever bring himself to take on and shatter Sal's as well?

Not everything or everyone makes you feel at ease, even if you want it/them to. I couldn't expect anything else from Sal than what she already has done. Her inner life is delicate, and much more so now than before Wendell. Elvis has been her rock, and she knows their friendship creates a supporting mountain for the both of them. Even so—all it would take is a gust of wind, and it all goes. But would the wind ever really pick up?

The book was named Girl Of Mine, I Beg Of You for the longest time. I think that the original title speaks for itself. It gives us the motive behind it all and widens its horizon. It tells the story we have seen between Elvis and Sal—him being the first to find solace in her while crossing over to wanting her to open up. To trust him and go to him. To be vulnerable. To fight off her demons and the dragons while he stands by her side. Yes, Elvis could beg Sal to be with him, but beyond that? He wants her to find her way to be okay with her own self.

As we've reached the end of their first book, we might find the ending tougher to face than the ending we hoped for. Countless of you, my readers and friends, have asked whether they ever get together. Asked for hope. I could never bluntly state their faith without walking the walk, but I want to remind you that this journey is one of growth. Girl of Mine is only their first chapter, and sometimes the miles before us can be harder to take on without knowing whether or not the end will turn out golden. And in the name of Elvis and Sal and their question of trust, I want you to know that you can trust me. Each chapter, we concur, will be worth it. I can promise you that.

And with that, for the last time, Girl of Mine's author's note has ended. Just like the book. But what comes after an ending? The beginning of a new path.

◌ ◌ ◌

See the next published part for book 2's teaser. We're about to embark on a new journey, and gosh, that one is an obsession of mine! You're in for an adventure ;)

◌ ◌ ◌
Psst: All five titles of the planned books (so far) are hidden in this author's note. I'll give you a lead—every title ends with 'of Mine.' And every secret word has four letters! They are random words throughout the note. They do not necessarily stand together.

_____________________________

◌ ◌ ◌