Chapter 14 - Girls and boys

— Disclaimer —
_____________________________

This next chapter will address racism. This is a topic I very much want to handle with great care, but I am unsure of how to portray in the right way and speak of in a correct manner. I would greatly appreciate it if any reader feels like I'm at all handling this the wrong way; either comment or send me a PM on Wattpad to educate me on how I could better my understanding and represent the vital awareness of racism.

I want to disclose that this story takes place in the 1950s, which was a different time from our own. This was a time of inhumane segregation laws. The color of your skin could deny you access to restaurants, busses, schools, jobs, park benches, restrooms etc.

Racism is still highly present today, and there is a long way to go to better our understanding of the matter and gain equality for all.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this introduction.

_____________________________

◌ ◌ ◌

____________________

Rosalie POV (Sal)

«Coffee?» Patty asked joyfully as she peaked over the high front office department with a big mug in her hand. With stacks of paper in front of me priding the polished pine desk, I looked up to meet her deep brown eyes complimenting her umber complexion. Slowly I let my lungs empty with lips pouting unladylike.

«Yes. I need it. I live for coffee these days, Patts.» I needily said, dreading the work in front of me. It would take working overtime, as it did every day this past week.

«That bad, ha?» Patty said, raising one of her luscious dark brows I'd always admired. Patty had been wise not to let any form stay on her desk unfilled for too long.

«Oh, that is putting it lightly. I think I won't be able to leave before 5 AM tomorrow.» I exaggerated after handing her my cup and resting my chin in the palm of my hands.

Patty laughed an infectious laugh. Shaking her head while pouring me a cup, the rich scent of heaven came seeping—Steaming hot; I could already feel the beginning cold of October blending with warmth. As she handed me the beige cup matching the walls that had framed articles and newspapers from the past—I grabbed hold of the cup with a quiet «ouch,» followed by thanking her.

«You know, I think we should head out for lunch.» She said with light steps taking her to join me in her seat next to me. We both worked at the front desk of the Madison Next Newspaper. It had been a month and a half since my first day, with Patty starting a week prior. My dream of joining in on some cases or seeing the darkroom was far out of reach. I had taken no part in the development of photos or as much as sniffed at an article.

I didn't know what I thought would happen when just starting out. I guess I thought the days would be more exciting than making and pouring coffee, filling out forms for visitors, and processing orders of newspapers all over town.

Leaving my thoughts of disappointment behind, I looked over at Patty in the corner of my eye—realizing what she had happily proposed.

«I thought you... were meeting up with Jenna?» I whispered with eyes going all over the place to make sure no one heard us at the far end of the hall, going further into the building. Our workstation was right beside the double glass door leading out to the streets. But at the time, no visitors were waiting in the three uncomfortable red armchairs. It would be somewhat safe to ask about Jenna now.