Chapter 23 - New Year's Eve of 1956

Warning
_____________________________

This chapter includes themes of violence and sexual assault.
The book is marked as mature and will include such themes.

_____________________________

◌ ◌ ◌

* chapter music *- Alone At A Drive In Movie -Grease (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

* chapter music *
- Alone At A Drive In Movie -
Grease (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

_____________________________

◌ ◌ ◌

__________________

Narrator POV

With laughter, true holiday spirit, and the scent of beautifully decorated Christmas trees—Christmas went by. A joyous and sacred family time filled both Elvis's first real home and Rosalie's tiny Madison brick apartment.

They kept in touch up until the last week before Christmas arrived. Finding that family was the most important to both of them—left them agreeing to get in touch again first thing after Christmas. On the first day of the new year, 1957.

◌ ◌ ◌

Rosalie POV (Sal)

New Year's Eve.

«Sal, sweetheart! Are you ready?» I heard my mom calling from the hall as I leaned close to the mirror. My mouth was slightly open while applying mascara to get in the final touches of the look for tonight's New Year's Eve party in my dad's society. Weirdly enough, whenever you got close to your eye—your mouth dropped open.

«In a minute!» I shouted as I pulled back with a seductive smile to check out my own look—making sure I was presentable and confident of how I presented myself. My dad's colleagues' kids were brought along to the annual celebration, with no exceptions. A few of the other daughters my age had these ugly glares and mean girl spirit to them. I tried keeping my distance and instead talking to my dad's female colleagues—particularly Betty, who happened to be my babysitter til' I was eight. The reason for their despicable attitude was quite simple and competitive and had the tendency to sound a bit incestuous. Most of the girls ended up looking to the sons of other colleagues to find a suitable partner. They were wealthy and acceptable marriage candidates. They weren't far from stuck-up, either.

Turning the lid to leave my mascara on the sea-green shelf under my round mirror, my attention traveled to the calendar pinned on the side of my wooden closet. Almost all the days had been crossed out, leaving me with the start of January with a red circle to single out the 1st as important.

Elvis.

A smirk appeared, thinking of how many things I had to tell him. Regina and I had gotten into some wild shit. I couldn't take the honor myself; I simply enjoyed the show. But it's safe to say that my boss Roger did not appreciate Regina's carol singing, including eggs and no singing.