44. All on fire

Thanks to KumaZura for proof reading this chapter.

***

"No. Oh, no." Sanji wildly searched through the empty boxes of the reserve before taking a deep breath. He, who always had several packs of cigarettes ready, had just realized with dread that he had nothing left.

The blond forced himself to think calmly for a second. He often had a few packs of cigarettes lost among his clothes when he dropped one in the boys' quarter absent-mindedly. There had to be a few left there.

In a hurry, he crossed the Sunny and simply ignored Luffy who was hoping for a snack on the way. He went straight to his closet and brutally opened it before searching methodically among his drawers and wardrobe. He pulled out a pack in triumph, but he changed his mind when he saw he had only five cigarettes left inside.

He didn't lose hope of finding more and made off towards the room he shared with Zoro. He turned the mattress and pillows upside down but in vain. No wonder since he had promised the mosshead not to smoke here anymore... Sanji cursed himself for having had such a stupid idea because now he was going to run out of cigarettes before the next island. He even ended up kneeling to check under the bed but it was a waste of time. Annoyed, he went around the bathroom and after searching everywhere dutifully, he found a pack at the bottom of the dirty laundry basket.

In the end, Sanji got back to his galley and put the three remaining packs down in front of him before watching them in a bad mood. Two of them contained a total of eight cigarettes and that at the bottom of his pocket would soon be nothing but a memory. Why hadn't he noticed earlier he was running out of packs? he asked himself with annoyance. He then realized their last ports of call had been so full of emotions and adventures he hadn't even taken the time to think about buying some.

Sanji shrugged while putting away what was left in the back of a drawer. He had never been short of cigarettes since he started smoking and although he knew rationing would be difficult, he would still have to wait for their next destination that Nami had estimated in a few days. He firmly decided it wouldn't be insurmountable.

***

After lunch, the cook went down the steps leading to the deck to get some fresh air. He had a furious desire to smoke but he decided not to take a cigarette immediately given what little he had left. He had indeed realized with horror that he was lighting them without being aware of it.

As he made his way to the rest of the crew who was enjoying the cool wind, he suddenly heard Nami's voice rise. "This is not happening, Luffy," She decreed.

"What does he want now?" He asked, coming closer.

"He wants Usopp and Franky to make flaming missiles to have a contest," The skeleton told him, tuning his violin a few steps away.

"It's quite risky, Luffy," Chopper added, "You could set the Sunny on fire."

"I'll be careful!" The captain protested.

"When we are on the next island, you can do what you want but as long as we're on the ship, no fire!" Nami firmly concluded.

Luffy scowled and his friends tried to suggest him another hobby before seeing him freeze. Sanji followed his gaze to the open sea, puzzled, but to everyone's surprise, the straw hat boy suddenly rushed towards the railing.

"What are you doing?" The sniper wondered.

"Oh, my God! Luffy!" Nami dashed forward when the captain stepped over the Sunny's rail and literally jumped into the sea.

Stunned, all the crew members rushed to the edge before a big burst of laughter reached their ears. "Well, I'm guessing you're happy to see me!"

"Yeah, that's so cool!"