18. Wadô Ichimonji

Thanks to KumaZura for proof reading this chapter

***

Two days later, at dawn, the Sunny reached a small island with sparkling colors. Tree leaves draped in their Autumn colors were reddening the landscape and basking the white walls of houses grouped together in a country village.

The welcoming atmosphere prompted the navigator to give a night on shore to her friends who screamed with joy. "Remember, we must first stock up," She reminded them, giving a few berries to all of her friends. She sent Sanji, Brook and Zoro to fill the food reserves, Usopp and Franky that of cola, Luffy and Chopper that of medical supplies and herself with Robin in search of a nice hostel.

***

As the cries of joy were scattering through the streets of the city center, Usopp and Franky quickly found what they needed to fill the ship with cola. So they had time to wander around the city and quickly found a junk shop. Delighted to get their hands on pieces to tinker new inventions, they both searched with excitement among the overflowing rows of metal pieces of all kinds. Usopp triumphantly took out a spare part for his Kabuto and Franky, several pieces of metal to repair the Shark Submerge that Nami was straining at every opportunity.

When they came out of the store a little later, they saw Luffy and Chopper a few tens of meters away and approached.

"That's not okay, they won't get away with it!" The straw hat captain seemed furious.

Facing him, two young boys, one dark-haired and one red-haired, and a blonde girl were looking at him sympathetically. "You know, we're used to it," The young woman sighed, "We'll get over it..."

"No way! You worked very hard for this machine, they have to give it back to you!" Luffy angrily insisted.

"What's happening?" The cyborg asked Chopper as they came up to them.

"A competition is set up in a few days between several inventor schools of the region. These people have been robbed by a group of the opposing school right in front of us and they won't be able to compete. Luffy tried to catch up with them but they were too fast," The doctor explained, saddened.

"This is an absolute scandal!" Usopp got indignant. "Where are those thieves, we're gonna take back what doesn't belong to them!"

"Oh no, it's too dangerous!" One of the young men stopped him. "They're part of a gang and the whole village fears them. I'm almost sure their leader is a pirate!"

The sniper boasted in front of the group of panicked friends. "Don't worry. As a Great Captain, my crewmates and I are traveling on the most dangerous seas in the world," He recited with confidence, "I was personally raised by sea monsters on the Calm Belt and then I initiated my crew to the sudden death attacks of those creatures in one shot!"

"Wow, amazing!" The redhead guy gushed.

"We're really lucky to have bumped into you!" His friend added.

"Usopp, I didn't know you grew up on the Calm Belt!" Luffy got enthusiastic.

"You're amazing!" The little reindeer admired him.

While Usopp proudly continued to recite his role, Franky examined the cart that had been robbed behind them. Large black marks were visible on the paved road and a piece of metal had fallen, probably torn off during the theft. The machine seemed wide and its weight should be consistent with the use of a cart to carry it. The engineer then deduced that the thieves had certainly planned their move and had organized themselves accordingly. It showed their determination and they would have to be careful if they decided to attack them.