42. Branded

Thanks to KumaZura for proof reading this chapter.

***

It had been three days since the Straw Hat crew had sailed off and while Sanji selected his vegetables for the next meal in the galley, he was dutifully thinking.

Since his last argument with the fencer which had almost ended their relationship, nothing had disturbed their rediscovered happiness and he should have been delighted. Not that they were putting up with each other more than usual, but Sanji hadn't felt the need to make him talk or to make sure of his feelings. Really, he should have been happy, but he also knew he was still in the euphoria of the moment and the day would inevitably come when an event would undermine his peace of mind.

At this very moment, the cook would truly assess the price of his promise. And it's also at this moment that he wouldn't be allowed to make mistakes. However, he knew trust wasn't something that could be decreed. Trust was about strong feelings from all the bonds built over time. And Sanji couldn't foresee when he would trust the fencer enough not to ask him for what he couldn't give. He just hoped the gap he thought he perceived between them would close.

Besides, he was sensing his demand wasn't rational. He knew the swordsman and his stubbornness, his loyalty and honesty. It didn't make sense that he didn't transpose this image of Zoro to their relationship. Because of this impasse, Sanji didn't know what to do for the moment other than to blindly believe in them until their actions brought him the evidence he was looking for despite himself.

Sanji wasn't completely satisfied with himself but his resolution was still important enough to give him the strength to stick to it and he finally decided that it was a good start.

Suddenly, exclamations were heard outside and he stopped his move, his vegetables ready to be put in the oven to be roasted. He quickly put his dish on the hotplate and went out while lighting a cigarette.

***

Outside, Sanji was surprised to discover a huge wash troubling the sea a few meters from the Sunny. He approached the rest of his friends already all gathered on the left front deck and busy commenting on the strange state of the ocean.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Maybe an underwater whirlwind," Franky suggested.

"No, the shape isn't circular," Nami showed him.

"It may be a treasure that rises to the surface!" Luffy got enthused, perched on the railing.

Strangely, the wash suddenly stopped and everyone leaned forward, puzzled. A few seconds later, the foam reappeared ten meters further in the form of constant splashes and all instinctively backed away.

"It's moving, it's alive!" Usopp panicked.

"It looks like an aquatic ballet," Brook commented in wonder.

"Look!" Chopper shouted. The crew stared wide-eyed before freezing in front of the red liquid slowly rising to the surface. "It's-It's blood?" The little doctor stammered.

"Looks like it," Franky agreed, frowning.

"What's going on down there?" Zoro growled, putting a hand on his swords.

"The ocean floor is likely the scene of a battle," Robin noted.

The wash was no longer decreasing and suddenly, a huge spray of water rose to the sky. The crew members jumped as two forms fell heavily into the ocean at the same time, sending liters of seawater onto the deck.

"Did you see that?" Usopp yelled, his face dripping. "What was that?!"

Beside him, his friends were trying to wipe themselves and Brook shook his head. "I didn't have the time to get a good look but it seems to me that it was..."