Chapter nine

As winter approached the days grew shorter and colder, but also morbid. I put all my attention and care into my work cases as I  tried to forget the woman that was stained into the back of my mind. Regina's face, voice, and attitude lingered in my brain and I thought about her every night and day, she was my first and last thought. 'Why her?' I would ask myself, 'why did I have to be in love with her?' That question also stayed in my head. I have often thought about talking to her, or opening up about everything but I am not sure she is ready. Every time I see her walking down the street or walking past the sheriffs office I want to grab her and pull her into a tight hug and tell her how much I love her, and I almost do.

   These conflicting feelings leave me loving and hating her. 'Maybe I should tell her' I thought, then I got the call. My phone began to buzz and as I looked down I saw that Regina was calling me. I hesitantly took my phone into my hands and pushed the answer button.

"Hello?" I asked in a shaky voice

"Y/n, I mean Ms. y/l/n, I hate doing this on such short notice, but I got a call from the state and they are making me have a mandatory meeting with you tonight. Is 5:30 a good time for you?" She asked softly.

Before answering you looked at your clock. You realized the meeting was in 15 minutes and moths began to grow in your stomach.

"Um, yes I can make it by 5:30."

"Good." Regina said.

You caught the hint of relief and excitement in her voice, "will Graham be joining us?" You asked

  Regina said no. This made you even more nervous. Realizing you needed to prepare yourself for this meeting you hung up and bolted upstairs. You changed your clothes, combed your hair, brushed your teeth, and put on shoes in a matter of 10 minutes. When you walked out your door you couldn't help but feel a little excited yourself.

   When you arrived at Regina's office you noticed that nobody was there, you and Regina would be the only two in the town hall. 'Breathe y/n, you can do this' you said as you walked up to her office door. You softly knocked and you heard the most angelic voice tell you to come inside. When you opened the door you had to stop yourself from calling her beautiful.

"Y/n, please have a seat!" She said kindly.

You grinned unknowingly, "I'm glad to know that we are on a first name bases again." You said shyly.

Regina smirked, "let's keep our private conversations out of the work place y/n. We can talk about that stuff after." She said hoping you'd agree to speak to her.

You didn't exactly agree or disagree, you just nodded your head. As Regina began to speak you intently listened. You both had this unannounced but known stare down going on as her words flooded the silent room. It was only when she smirked slightly that you looked away. In that moment Regina understood two things, first she had won, and second, she knew she still made you nervous. This also confirmed her theory that you did still like her.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" You asked.

Regina blushed, "sorry, I didn't realize I was." She said as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

As the meeting ended you both grew sad. That's when Regina asked you about earlier.

"So now that work is over, do you want to discuss the first name bases thing?" She asked hoping you'd say yes.

"I um, sure." You said.

"Do you mind if I call you y/n?" She asked.

You answered unaware that the space between the both of you was closing.

"I don't mind, as long as I can call you Regina." You said with a tiny smile playing at the corner of your lips.

Regina looked down and saw your smile. She wanted to kiss you, everything in her was screaming at her to kiss you, but would she?