chapter four

Sitting on my couch with my phone in my hand was when I wished I hadn't agreed to call Regina. What if she does pick up? I thought to myself. I don't even think StoryBrook has a decent place to talk besides Granny's.

  After contemplating on just letting Emma down, I reluctantly pressed on Regina's number and called her. Halfway through the first ring, I could feel myself getting excited and nervous. I hated to admit it, but a tiny part of me wanted her to answer, so I waited. The second ring went through, then the third, then the fourth.

She didn't pick up.

   I knew it was silly for me to feel let down by the woman I was supposed to hate, but I couldn't help it. As I stared at my phone, I realized something. I had called the wrong person. I accidentally pressed on Ruby's number instead of Regina's. My heart felt relief as I took a breath and clicked on Regina's number. The first ring was halfway through,

She answered.

"Ms. Y/L/N, can I help you?" She asked

My heart started to beat faster, "Um, yes, actually. I was wondering if we could meet at Granny's tomorrow to talk about stuff?" I wanted to kick myself. Why did I say stuff?

"Oh, um, what kind of stuff? Is this about business, or are you asking me out?"

I could see her smirk through the phone, which made me blush like a maniac.

I responded as nonchalantly as I could,
"Ha ha, very funny, Ms. Mills. No, I'm not asking you out, I need to talk to you about" I looked around for something work related. I finally found a file about someone who had gone missing a few weeks ago, "I need to talk to you about the missing persons case." I said.

I figured she would decline. She usually goes on a date with Graham on Fridays, but to my surprise, she agreed.

"Yes, I can squeeze that in for tomorrow morning from 10:15 to 12. Does that work?" She asked.

"Yes, that's fine." I said.

"Okay, well, I have to go. Also I need you to be in my office tomorrow afternoon at 4 to help me with something." Regina added.

After she said that, I remembered what Emma had said earlier about Regina trying to get my attention by asking me to do things.

Maybe there is something Regina isn't telling me.