Chapter 15

Menace constantly stops on the sides of the road from time to time to check on Meisner. He remained unconscious, but his breathing is stable. Though it doesn't mean she can rest assured.

She doesn't know if the power of the stick truly is about regenerating a wound. She wasn't sure if the healed flesh would be permanently healed or if it will resurface. She trust that it wouldn't, considering Monroe haven't mentioned anything about his blood poisoning wound going back on his arm.

It's been an hour since they left Portland. She badly wanted to know how the rescue of Hank went, and if the others are fine. By now, she was sure they would've found out about what happened at the HQ, but she couldn't reach them or them to her.

Her phone was wiretapped. She found it out when she tried to call Nick, but heard a buzzing sound coming from it. How and when it happened was a mystery. All she could do was throw the phone away. She couldn't use Meisner's too cause it was left behind at the HQ.

All she could do now is find somewhere they could lodge in before continuing their drive back to Idaho.

It took her another two hours to find a motel. Menace was glad to see that the parking lot was empty, meaning that there are not many people to see them.

A man run up to them the moment she stepped out of the car.

The man was taller by only a few inches, wearing a shirt that says 'This world is fucked up!'

Menace badly wanted to comment on the quote but stop herself. She doesn't have any time to joke around.

"You need help, Miss?" the man asked, glancing back at her car.

"Come with me," she stated, walking to the passenger side of the car.

Once he was beside her, she open the passenger door revealing the unconscious Meisner. The man took a step back, clearly not expecting to see him. To see a man with dried blood on his eyes, nose, and ears.

"I'll pay you thrice the price of one room if you keep your mouth shut," she added, glaring at the man when he tried to step back farther.

The man didn't say anything for a moment. Just glanced between her and Meisner. Probably considering the money she's offering.

The price of renting one room isn't that much. But if he can pocket twice the amount of that, it is still larger than the wage he's getting back from watching over the motel at night.

"D-Do you need something else?" he said, swallowing his fear and stepping forward.

Menace handed him a bundle of money with a total of a thousand dollars, and the man eyed it with greed.

It was some of the money she withdraw from an ATM using a fake credit card she once stole from Meisner's room. It didn't have much, but it can provide them for the time being till they reach Idaho.

"Where can I enter without being seen by the camera?" Menace questioned, eyeing the single security camera near the small filling station.

"T-The camera on the filling station doesn't work, I swear. You can use the backstairs to enter. I can give you a room now." the man stuttered, noticing the glint of the gun on Menace's hip.

Menace only nodded and watches as the man run back to the building. She glances at the camera in the filling station once more, before facing Meisner.

"You better wake up, Meisner. 'Cause I'll beat you up if you don't," she muttered under her breath, her tone soft as if fearing that she might wake him up even though that's all she wanted right now.

The man came running back with a key in his hand. Panting as he reaches them, eyes widening as he watches Menace pull Meisner out of the car. His arm slanted on her shoulder, and her arm wrapped around his waist.