Pyre Of Secrets

We find ourselves in a meeting room with no ceiling the next day. Everyone is surprised by my father's heavy mood.

"Today is only the beginning. Everything we've done so far, everything that we've fought for...it all changes today.

With the arrival of the Twin Flames and an involuntary possession, it's finally time that I explain everything that's really going on."

My father lights a cigarette, takes a slow drag, and releases the smoke as he turns to gaze at the morning sky.

"There are forces in this world that operate behind the scenes. The Flame-Keepers perform their experiments to try to enhance humans to a level where we can contend with these...entities.

They threw consent out the window and became obsessed with transcendence. It's part of the reason I left."

He turns to look at me.

"My son was born with a special flame. One that gives him a certain responsibility to the world, to us. It's something no parent would ever wish on their child. The destiny to bring us together and burn away the separation we've imposed on each other.

The Alpha and Omega Flames are the two pieces of the Divine Flame Of Creation, as you all know. What you don't know is that flame is meant for everyone. It's a flame capable of harming, and if refined correctly, killing these entities.

My son and Kendra are the natural balances to give humanity a fighting chance in a war we never asked for. I want you all to know that you are not strong enough, and if these two don't completely embrace that power, we will fail and die. If anyone wants to leave now, I'll accept that."

No one moves to leave.

"I suppose it's my fault. The victories we've experienced may have led you to misunderstand the gravity of the situation." He chuckles solemnly.

"Whether we die by the Flame-Keepers, or from something else doesn't change the fact that all of us knew death was a possibility." Beatrix speaks up.

"Even you don't understand Beatrix." My father starts in a grave tone.

"Last night, I was possessed by one of them. This isn't just a matter of life and death. It's a matter of freedom. Your body may be taken over, your flame may be manipulated against you, and if you're unlucky, they might make you remember everything you had no control over.

There are things worse than death. So I say again, if the idea of potentially losing control of your body and power doesn't appeal to you, you may leave at any time."

This time, there's an uncomfortable shift along The Nine Hells, but still no one leaves.

"Aiden, Kendra, you've both surpassed me in power. But your knowledge, wisdom, and understanding are lacking. What you'll really be fighting is beyond anything you can imagine. The agents of creation and the agents of destruction, you're far too weak to stand against them.

Neither of you has accessed the Divine Flame, though it's clear by how you've begun to utilize each other's flames that you're getting closer. The bond you share needs to be strengthened. The two must become one.

By now, I'm sure you've already experienced what happens when you come together, and how that affects other people."

I think back to Muspelheim, how we created life in the desert, and freed the flames of the citizens.

"Yeah, we've seen that. We freed them and brought life to the lifeless." I answer.

My dad nods.

"You will need to do that on a grander scale. A cosmic scale..." He trails off.