Unmatched

I'm still trying to process everything that just happened. I'm not surprised that it went there. The language here is strength, so of course, Dante is going to want to test mine. It makes sense for a father to test the resolve  of... whatever I am to Aiden.

I've used my voice before, but this time, I said some things that I didn't mean to. Which is why I'm lost in thought now. Those voices started during the Death Scythe incident. Aiden's subconscious was Death Scythe.

It was only when his subconscious self and conscious self aligned that the voice came out. That means that when we're our true selves, the voice happens... and everything listens.

Dante's voice may be different because he hasn't completely gotten there yet. But that also means what I said to Dante is how I truly feel. Or I guess what is truly felt.

The voice comes through clear in my head as I turn over on my bed.

Queen Of The Damned. Is that how I really feel? It sounds evil... but it felt powerful. It felt right. It felt true.

I've only been in my room for twenty minutes before there's a knock at the door. I swing out of bed and walk to the door impressively smooth for someone who hasn't had a real bed in a year.

I open to door to Dante, whose eyes don't meet mine.

"It is known what you are going through and what you are about to. The question will be given that will guide you through what's coming.

What's more important, love or freedom?"

"What? Why are you able to use the voice now?" I respond completely taken aback.

"The One called Dante is not delivering this message. If you are able to answer that question correctly, the war within will be won."

"Who are you?" I inquire.

"You two are the beginning of the end. Everyone has a role to play. Your strength has been seen. You are unmatched, but while divided, you are weak.

You do not truly know the self. But if you can correctly answer that question, you will."

"So there's more than one answer?"

"Yes, but there is only one right answer. Do not answer hastily. Listen to your heart, your soul, your voice, and your flame. The true answer is held there."

I pause a moment to process. "Thank you for the advice, but I believe I also asked, WHO ARE YOU?"

"You are still divided. The level of power needed to command This One has not been accessed." Whoever or whatever this is chuckles.

"I guess this is what Dante meant by too weak for them." I murmur to myself.

Dante eyes flash blue as he comes back to consciousness.

"What am I doing here?" He asks.

"Someone or thing used you to deliver a message."

"Then we all need to talk in the morning. It's time I told you everything." He says definitively and walks away.

I think to close the door and go to bed, but it's been far too long since I've seen Aiden, and we really need to talk.