Opposing Inferno

After what feels like a blissful eternity, she slowly pulls her lips from mine. As we separate, I feel that longing again. The longing to be back in her arms, never letting go. She traces her lips thoughtfully while looking away, catching her breath. When she turns back to me, her eyes suggest she can see through me.

"I..." she starts slowly. I'm so lost in the movement of her perfect lips that I almost miss the rest of her sentence.

"...have to go." She finishes.

"Let me come with you." I immediately respond.

She doesn't say anything at first, staring into my eyes as if she's searching for something.

"I admit, that was... special. I just don't think you understand what you'd be getting into by saying that. I don't know where I'm going.

Plus, you have a life here, and my flame can't be controlled. I'm constantly moving from place to place because of situations like this. I'm not your life. If anything, I'll probably be your death." She says somberly.

"Did you...read my mind? I never said you were my life." I ask excitedly.

She sighs. "When people use their flames, I can hear their thoughts. That's how I knew that guy was trash."

"Oh, okay, that makes sense." I smile.

"That doesn't unnerve you... knowing that you can't use your flame, that you can't be who are without someone listening?"

"Of course not. It means I'm finally not alone anymore."

She looks at me with disbelief.

"I don't hear thoughts per se, but I can read the state and intent of flames. You read minds, I read hearts." I explain with a nonchalant shrug.

"Then you know I'm death, and you still say you want to come with me? Yeah, you must be insane."

"No, I know you are life because I read your flame. I want to live with you. I thought I WAS living, but I wasn't until today."

She doesn't say anything again.

"You said your flame can't be controlled, but it can. I can tell you what it really is, what we really are, and what all of this means." I say while allowing my flame to flow around my body.

I hear sirens. The Flame-Keepers must be coming. I can't let them lock her up for public disturbance, assault, or whatever bias charge they would throw at her.

"We don't have the time to talk about it now. There's another city a hundred miles to the west. Have you been there yet?"

She shakes her head while holding my gaze.

"You aren't lying." She finally says.

"No, I'm not. Take my hand, the Flame-Keepers will be here soon.

She looks at me skeptically. "We'll probably have to fight. We can't get out of the city before they catch us."

"Oh, but we can." I say with a half-smile. "I've been blue as long as I've been in Ignis. No one here knows of my true flame or what I can do."

Hesitantly, she takes my hand, and in a blaze of white fire, we're instantly in the city of Muspelheim.

"How in the world did you do that?!" She exclaims.

I beam at her. "I know a place where we can talk," I explain as I lead her to the Inferno Café.