Hell's Flame Freezes Over

Aiden looks peaceful and full of joy when he's running. I can't help but secretly hope it's because he's running with me, or I guess in this case from me.

It doesn't seem to matter how fast I go, I just can't catch him. Sparks are flying across the desert, the mountains, and the air as I try to catch this beautifully tortured soul. I was so sure this morning that someone like him could never understand someone like me, I never imagined he would have been through something like that.

Regardless of the traumas and lives of our past, I will catch him! Even if I have to play dirty.

I throw a lightning bolt at the spot he'll be based on his current trajectory. There's NO way he can dodge it. Yet, of course, right before it hits, he ducks while under it, spinning his feet, so it narrowly misses him.

I stop running. "I'm not going to be able to catch you, I guess I'm going to need more practice." I admit in frustrated defeat.

"It's your will, my love."

My heart patters at this new title, though I don't let the emotion register.

"My will?"

"Yes. We've been racing across this entire desert, and you aren't out of breath. What you set out to do and what you believe you can do factor into what you can do.

You say you can't catch me, but tell me, did you truly believe you could? Did you see it in your mind's eye happening? Were you convinced there was no other result other than you catching me?"

"That's...it? Are you serious? That's all there is to it?"

"You say that, but knowing and enacting your will is no easy feat. Especially in combat." He explains as he embraces me.

"I was supposed to hug you." I murmur sourly.

"I know, but you lost." He teases back.

"Hmph. So I just have to see it. I need to believe that there isn't anything else possible."

"That's the gist." He smiles at me.

"Okay then." I smirk. "Let's try this again."

I lead this time by stepping forward with a clear visual in my mind. He tries to side step, but he isn't faster than my hand, reaching out to grab his face.

To my glorious satisfaction, the only look on his scrunched face is uninhibited, blatant, shock. I pull him close quickly and peck his lips with mine.

"Thanks for the tip." I gloat innocently and sweetly while releasing his face.

"You know you really are amazing."

"What can I say? I'm a natural." I purposely mirror his words from earlier.

"Do you want to learn how to teleport next?" Aiden gushes excitedly.

I give him a wicked smile. "No, I think I got it." At the end of my sentence, I teleport behind him.

"Well, you've got it all down now." He laughs.

"Now you can only get better."

Before I can respond, a siren screams in the direction of the city, drawing my attention. When I turn back to Aiden, his face is filled with rage.

"You should stay here. It looks like they found us."

"I think I've proven myself more than capable. If you're going to fight, I'm coming with you."

"Kendra -" He attempts to start with the audacity to use my name after calling me his love.

"I said what I said." I cut him off.