"What makes us human?" [2]

TW WARNING: Poland going through it with depression lol.
Talk of self harm, talk of suicide.
Bullying?? Idk it's briefly mentioned.
And uh, old art 😨
——————————-——————————-——————————-——————————-——

[3rd person]

Poland and Germany watched USA walk away to his next class, not making a sound as the two observed the power leave. Poland's faint smile dropped as he looked at Germany beside him, making a small grunt of dissatisfaction not loud enough to be heard.

Germany sighed, lowering his hand and stuffing it in his hoodie pocket. He looked down at the ground and grumbled, shuffling his feet. "Hey Pol, can I tell you something?"

Poland's eyes widened slightly, feeling a hint of giddiness inside him. He looked away with a small smile and a hopeful tone of voice as he spoke.

Germany sighed deeper, before raising his head and staring at the empty hallway ahead of the pair. His frown was evident as he closed his eyes and waved his only free hand through his hair. "I think I'm.. jealous."

Poland's expression changed to one of confusion, not understanding whatever Germany was talking about. He raised his eyebrow before turning to face him. "Jealous of who? Or whom." Poland slipped out. He then paused, trying to remember where he heard someone correcting him on his use of words. Poland shook his head internally, before focusing on the problem at hand.

Germany mumbled softly, peering at the floor yet again, before looking Poland in the eyes. His gaze read as unsure, perplexed, even worried, which concerned Poland. The two stared at each other until Germany spoke up. "Uh, America."

There was a long, uncomfortable pause, where Poland felt his patience thinning. He knew the probability of this discussion steering towards this was high, but Poland had been hopeful for once. He let out a displeased "Oh", before furrowing his brows and looking to the ground as he asked the dreaded question. Why's that?"

Germany scratched his head, looking towards the hallway and sighing. He took a few steps back, before slowly walking to his locker, seeing Poland in tow towards him. Germany opened the door and scrambled through the slightly messy storage space, speaking as well. "Well, I think Philippines likes him.. I'm not sure though, what do you think?"

Poland felt his eye twitch as he fought the urge to laugh in frustration. How dare he ask such a question! Was he that blind? Poland could hardly believe that this was the country he had been desiring for so long. Perhaps it was their shared idiocy? Poland shut down the negative thoughts, not wanting to spiral...again.

He sighed, feeling his distress leave him as he got ready to force out a reply, as well as figure out if he was going to throw USA under the bus. Poland bit his lip with a slight nervousness, feeling unsure of the predicament. He seriously didn't want to hear anymore about Philippines, but knew it'd satisfy Germany. "Well.. I don't think Ame likes him like that, like at all. I don't know about the other way around, but maybe you shouldn't focus on that, for once." Poland mumbled the last part, not wanting to irritate Germany.

Germany huffed, thinking about the situation. He tapped his foot and narrowed his eyes slightly, a glint of determination in him. "I need to be sure, maybe I should..follow him to see if I'm right?" He looked up at Poland, who now was vigorously shaking his head with a bewildered expression. "That's a really stupid plan, like seriously, America is the worst person to follow around." He scolded Germany, feeling his patience thinning.

Poland rolled his eyes at him, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he shrugged. He sighed deeply, before looking away. "Maybe just.. talk to him? He's your friend Germany, America wouldn't go against your wishes." Germany peered at the floor, feeling a sense of shame wash over him. He itched the back of his neck, nervous about Poland's idea. "I mean, maybe? I don't know.. I wanted to ask you because you're probably my closest friend, you know me more than anyone Poland."