Chapter 9

*swap Ruv's POV*

     A couple of days have passed since the slapping contest event. Things have been a little awkward since then. Sarvente never kisses me, even on the cheek, so I don't really know what to make of it. I try not to act awkward, and act normal, but I just can't. I hope she hasn't noticed...

     It's morning, and I'm already up. Before it was time for me to leave my parents, we had to take turns watching out for police; it's not easy being a family of criminals. I would always have early morning watch, being a kid that needed sleep during the night. Out of habit, I've always woken up before Sarvente.

     "Good morning, Ruv.", Sarv says as she walks into the kitchen.

     "Good morning!", I say a little too fast, as I sip my coffee. I've never liked coffee, it just calms me down a little.

     Today is Saturday, so there aren't masses being held. Because of that, Sarv doesn't bother changing into her nun outfit and just stays in her aquamarine pajamas. Heh, she looks cute without even trying.

     Late in the afternoon, Sarvente and I go to the main area of the church to go organize the storage room, since we have nothing much to do.

     I decide to look around for any weapons or sharp things I can salvage while Sarvente looks for some old records of past members.

     As I look for stuff, I find an old suit (most likely from a priest or something). It's my favorite shade of pink on the outside, and it has a dark pink fabric on the inside. It has a light layer of dust, which tells me it's not that old. It looks cool, but it could use some additions and changes. I decide not to tell Sarv, because she'll make me try it on, and I don't want to wear it in the state it is now.

     Once Sarvente finds her records, we start to head back to the living quarters when a window breaks across the room, and then another one; teenagers. I rush out front as Sarv follows me in a hurry. I guess all the running from the police in the past pays off.

     One of the kids is about to throw another rock as I make it outside, and he stops when he sees me.

     "Yo kids, stop vandalizing our church, or-", the ringleader cuts me off.

     "Or what?", the group chuckles. "You may look tough, big guy, but you don't scare us."

     I've already had enough of these little shits. I pick up the so-called "zavodila", who thinks he's so cool by the collar of his shirt, and hold my butcher knife that I always have on me to his throat.

     "Listen, kid- You leave me and my girlfriend alone, and NEVER  return to this church again. Got it?", I say with a threatening smile. Wait, did I just call Shawty my girlfriend?

     The kid, with fear in his eyes, gulps, and nods. I let go of him, and he and his friends run like their lives depend on it, because they do.

     "Nice touch on adding "girlfriend"; it makes it more effective.", Sarv says, which startles me. She must've been behind me...

     "Yep!", I add on awkwardly, as if I meant to do that all along.

     "Stop. Being. So. Awkward!", I whisper-yell to myself while hitting myself on the forehead with my palm.

     "Did you say something?", Sarv asks.

     "Just talking to myself.", I say.

     "Huh. I didn't know you did that.", she says.

     "Me neither.", I mutter to myself.

     Once we make it back to the living quarters, it's starting to get dark outside, so we go to our rooms and change into our pajamas.

     We decide to just skip dinner and watch TV. A show Sarvente likes is on, and it's not the church channel.

     "I bought you some of that Oreo ice cream you like while you were at masses yesterday.", I say.

     "... Thank you.", she says, with a simple but genuine smile. Shit.

     She doesn't care that much for ice cream in general, but happens to really like Oreo. I, myself, am a strawberry guy, but I like Oreo ice cream a lot too.

     We sit on the couch and watch TV while eating ice cream, which I end up eating a good portion of...

     We talk a bit while watching TV, and eventually Sarv falls asleep. Once again, I gotta carry her back to her bedroom. I lay her down on her bed, and tuck her in. Fuck- she even looks hot when she's sleeping.

     "I love you, Shawty.", I say in a quiet voice as if she's awake and I am talking to her. "I'm just not really sure how to tell you." I kiss her on the forehead, and then exit the room and close the door.

     Then, I suddenly get an awesome idea.