Chapter 8

*swap Sarvente's POV*

     The next day, I prepare Ruv's favorite snack that he likes to have while he watches the slapping contests on the TV; spice cakes. He doesn't trust the street vendors, because he thinks they might try to poison us.

     Ruv decides to help me, because it is the kind thing to do.

     "So, are you excited? I can never tell, because you're always so hyper.", I say with a smirk. 

     "You bet!", Ruv says back, with finger guns.

     "I got us front row seats. Just make sure not to yell too loud...", I say jokingly, but also seriously.

     "Of course, Shawty.", he responds.

     We make sure to wear clothes that will make us blend in, considering the bounty on Ruv and that we'll be in the front row.

     On the way there, I feel like someone is watching us. I don't tell Ruv, because he will get very cautious and protective, and instead I make sure to keep an eye out.

     (If you don't understand, the paragraph above references how swap Selever and swap Rasazy watch them through a portal window while they are in the swap Nothing World.)

     Once we get there, the contest is about to start.

     "Who do you think will win?", I ask Ruv.

     "Balakin just looks strong for show, trying to get extra bets. What a wimp- I bet he's weaker than a mouse." he says. "Volkov seems ready and prepared on the inside and outside. I think he's gonna win."

     Ruv decides to place us some bets with some others. We bet on Volkov. I can tell he's having a good time, because he's a little more hyper than he usually is.

     "AND VOLKOV WINS!!!", screams the announcers at the end of the contest. Ruv and I hug and cheer in celebration. In the heat of the moment, without thinking, I kiss him on the cheek, which I never do. He blushes, not expecting that to happen. I do too, in embarrassment, even though it was just a small peck.

     During the walk home, we talk.

    "Thank you for a great day, Sarv!", Ruv says, going for a hug, which I don't decline.

     "That's what friends do for each other.", I respond. Friends. The word tastes bitter in my mouth. Maybe, in the future, we will be able to use a different word...