Chapter XII

"What did you call me for? It's late and I want to sleep." Chigiri said as he entered the training room, finding (Y/n) putting up the net on the goal. The girl turned around with a smile as Chigiri looked away, unnerved at everyone and everything.  Isagi's goal, his knee and now (Y/n)'s persistence in talking with him.
'Although am I really mad at that? I don't know, but it makes my stomach do weird shit.' Chigiri looked back at (Y/n) as she started kicking up the football and then towards Chigiri, expecting him to receive it, but to her disappointment he moved away.
"What do you want?" He asked again.

"I want to play with you! Listen, you guys just have 2 more matches left, Ego-san is watching you all and he notices when someone puts little to no effort! You need to catch up."
There was a small silence and Chigiri raised an eyebrow at his behavior.
"Why do you care? Listen, I came here to Blue Lock to find a reason to give up on football..."
(Y/n)'s smile dropped as she kept on listening to him, feeling like a deja vu hit her.
"...and today, Isagi's goal gave me a reason to give up-"
"You can't just give up like that... you will live to regret that. I know the injury isn't something to brush over, but it shouldn't stop you from living your dreams."

"Why are you so obsessed with it? It's not like you went through anything like that! You don't know me or my thoughts!" Chigiri yelled, although he didn't mean it he couldn't take it. He just wanted to be done with football and not have someone push him into it.
"Well... I kind of do..." (Y/n) sighed and Chigiri looked up from the ground, obvious confusion on his face. Looking a little uncomfortable, kneeled down on one knee and pulled up her right tracksuit pant.

"I don't really like talking about it and only some people know about this, but I have similar issue."
Curious, Chigiri moved closer to look at her leg, his eyes widened when he noticed a compression around her ankle.
"I... I had an injury a few years ago and had to go through surgery. Back then I was too afraid to continue doing the sport I love." (Y/n) said as she sat down on the ground and looked up at Chigiri.
"I really regret it, at first I was fine but now I am haunted by all the possible scenarios that could have played out if I continued."
Chigiri kept quiet during the whole talk, he was surprised to hear that part of her life.

'She always looks so cheerful and happy with herself. The last I would expect from her is being sad with her life.'
"Are you sad about it? About quiting?"
"I don't know, there are days when I am indifferent and days when I am sad. But what I am sad about is that I quit without trying." (Y/n) admitted as she got up from the ground.
"Listen, I know a few tips and tricks to make it easier to play with an injury. Please at least try and if you really can't do it, then quit."
Chigiri gulped and looked at (Y/n) then at the door, and then back at her.

'Maybe... maybe I can try... one more time. I came all the way here and she bothers enough to help me out.' Chigiri slowly nodded his head.
"Fine, you are too persistent." He sighed as (Y/n) finally smiled and clapped her hands excitedly.
"Let's do this then!"
The redhead took a deep breath as his heart sped up a little bit.
'It's kind of cute that she is excited over stuff like this... get a grip, Chigiri!' The boy shook his head as (Y/n) went to retrieve the football.
'She is probably into Isagi. They are close friends after all.'

For the next 2 hours (Y/n) and Chigiri spent practice shooting, passing and defense. By the end both were exhausted and a little hungry, but all in all both had fun. Chigiri, although not admitting it easily, had quite a lot of fan practicing with someone who understands his issue and takes it easy. (Y/n) was just happy to see him enjoy football a little bit more.

'My legs will hate me tomorrow.' She winced, already expecting muscle aches when she wakes up.
"That was fun!" (Y/n) cheered as she put away the football as Chigiri drank his water.
"Yeah... fun." He said with a soft smile.
"Come on, we should go before Ego-san notices we are still here." (Y/n) announced as Chigiri followed after her.