Chapter X

Nagi was known for a lot of things, being smart in school and outside, good at football, so far that people will call him a genius, but he was also known for sleeping and playing on his phone. But one thing both him and Reo knew was that Nagi is observant, he doesn't show it a lot, but he keeps a close eye on Reo whenever he has a certain glint in his eyes. Excitement is the best way he can really describe it.

Nagi first saw that excited glint when they met at the staircase in the school's hallway, the second time he saw it was during their first football match together and the third time, really ever since the third time, it was when Reo dragged him to a karate championship back when they were in their 1st year. He didn't understand the heir's excitement over something like martial arts. Sure it looked good on TV and in movies, but overall it was a complete hassle for him. But after the faithful day he entered Tokyo's metropolitan gym.

Years prior to Blue Lock...
"Why am I here?" Nagi asked in boredom as he entered the large building, making notes of how many people were there.
'It's the Nationals... I guess this is normal?' The boy thought as Reo pulled him along.
"I didn't know you are into karate of all things."
"I am not, just here to watch someone." Reo's statement caused a small spark of curiosity to appear in Nagi.
"A friend? I didn't know you had friends who were into martial arts."
"It's not a friend, but someone I really admire. Maybe I will have some luck to get a picture of her."
'Her?' Nagi raised an eyebrow.

Once they were seated, Nagi took out his phone to play some random game he downloaded when the announcer said his usual welcoming speech. Reo was meanwhile looking in excitement at one team in particular as he slapped Nagi's arm.
"Ow! What?" The albino asked in annoyance as Reo pointed at a peculiar person. It was a girl maybe a little older than them wearing the usual karate uniform and talking cheerfully with someone in the audience.
'A black belt? And what's with that hair? I never saw that hair dye.' Nagi wondered as he made notes of the (f/c).

"I wonder if she can defend the title this year."
"What do you mean?" Nagi wondered as Reo excitedly started saying how she won the national title last year, the first one for high schoolers, and won 2 for junior high schoolers. Nagi nodded his head from time to time, surprised that she was that strong.
'Doesn't look like she can hurt a fly... the opponents must have been weak.'

"I hope she likes these peach-flavored mochis. My mom found them on her trip to Osaka last week." Reo comments and he showed Nagi the (f/c) box.
"Dude, what the hell? Did you really bring a gift of all things? And why mochi?"
"Of course I did! It's the first time I get to see her in real life, so might as well use it. And she likes mochi a lot."
"How do you know that?"
"I see her post about it a lot." Reo said simply, which weirded Nagi out a little.
"You follow her?"
"Of course." Reo answered simply, looking back at the girl with the same, wide smile.

After what felt like an eternity to Nagi, the competition was finally over and as much as he hated to admit it, he enjoyed the fights the girl had.
'(L/n) (Y/n)...' Nagi recalled as he followed after Reo. He had to admit she has some impressive skills and she was pretty, but he didn't understand his friend's fixation.
"E-excuse me... (L/n) (Y/n)?" The girl looked away from her coach and then at Reo and Nagi, clearly confused as to who they were.
'Pretty eyes...' Nagi thought as the girl approached them.
"Yes? How may I help you?"

"I am a huge fan and I wanted to congratulate you for the win. Four national titles is a big thing." Reo said excitedly as (Y/n) sent him a nervous smile.
'Embarrassed?' Nagi raised an eyebrow but said nothing.
"Thank you! Although it's not a huge deal, but the support means a lot. I am sure you came from far to see this." (Y/n) said, taking notes of the uniforms they were wearing. Reo blushed in embarrassment and shook his head.

"It's nothing, as someone who likes karate a lot, it's always exciting to watch you."
"So you are training karate too?" (Y/n) asked in curiosity and Reo, nervous and overwhelmed, nodded his head.
"Yeah! Although I am not really for competitions like these." Reo said, kicking Nagi's leg as the boy let out a chuckle.