39

It was quiet; too quiet. Peter assumed he was in a hospital since he was still alive, but aren't there supposed to be beeping monitors and blinding lights? That's what movies always showed when a character woke from a near-death experience.

Opening his eyes, Peter confirmed he was definitely in a medical room of some sort. However, he had no idea where. To his side, there were all kinds of medical devices on a tray that he presumed were used on him at some point, and hanging above him was a surgical light that, thankfully, was not turned on. It was oddly serene and pristine in the room, but honestly, Peter didn't actually care.

Letting out a heavy sigh, Peter immediately noticed the slight numbing tug it caused around the area of his stomach. Pulling the blanket to the side and lifting his nightgown, Peter came face to face with a large, fresh, newly stitched, gash. While he examined the wound, poking and prodding even though he probably wasn't supposed to do that, Peter heard slight muffled voices nearby.

Looking away from his stomach, Peter searched for the owners of the voices, quickly finding the Avengers bickering with one another outside the clear glass door. For a few minutes, he just simply watched, noticing how everyone was stiff with anxiety and their eyebrows pulled together in irritability. Bruce briefly glanced toward Peter, immediately doing a double-take when he saw Peter staring right back. Swiftly, Bruce was in the room, professionally beginning to ask him questions while the others crowded in.

"How are you feeling, Peter?" Bruce asked as he wrapped a stethoscope around his neck.

"Okay," Peter's voice was hoarse and quiet, causing him to clear his throat to answer again, "I'm okay."

"Do you know how old you are?" Bruce questioned as he placed the cool metal of the stethoscope around Peter's chest. "Take a deep breath."

"Fifteen," Peter shivered as goosebumps arose at the contact of the metal.

"Good, turn onto your side and take another deep breath," Bruce ordered, immediately placing the tool onto Peter's back when he did as he said, "What's my name?"

"Mr. Bruce Banner," Peter replied, earning a small chuckle from Natasha and Tony who were hovering over him. Bruce gave him a nod with a smile before gently urging Peter to move back onto his back.

"This will just be a small prick," Bruce assured as he picked up a needle that was connected to a tube, carefully inserting it into the inside of his elbow. Peter watched as blood moved through the tube and into a vial. "Do you remember why you're here?"

"I got jumped," Peter shrugged, "I think I got shot but don't really remember that part."

"Do you remember who you got jumped by?" Tony spoke up, crossing his arms against his chest. Peter nodded.

"Some kids at my school," Peter answered, "They've never really liked me."

"What are their names?" Steve spoke up, his eyebrows pulled tightly together.

"I only know the name of one of them," Peter said, "The others I've never really talked to."

"Okay, then what's that one person's name?" Tony asked, anger oozing out of him at the thought of the kid fighting for his life.

"Flash Eugene Thompson," Peter said, immediately flinching back when Tony suddenly slammed his fist against the wall.

"That little shit," Tony hissed, "Didn't learn his lesson I guess." Tony began stomping out of the room but was swiftly stopped by Clint and Bucky.

"Calm down, Tony," Clint tried to soothe the raging man, "Let's make sure Peter is okay before we make any rash decisions."

"I'm going to kill that kid," Tony muttered under his breath but stopped trying to run out.